Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 May 2000 18:57:41 -0400
From:         Chris Stinson <chstinson@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      HELP -- Vanagon won't start

One of my 1986 Vanagon GLs (2.1 liter watercooled Digifant) won't start.

I drove from Washington, D.C. to Harrisonburg, VA (about 150 miles) and the last 40 miles were in a major rain storm. I stopped to let a friend off and the Van would not start again.

Here is what I know and what I've tried...

I have one of Darryl's digitools attached to my ECU and when I turn the key in the ignition the lights for (i) power to the ECU, (ii) start signal to the ECU, (iii) fuel pump signal from the ECU, and (iv) throttle switch to the ECU all light up. The lights for coil signal from the ECU and for fuel injector signal from the ECU do not light up (although the coil signal light flashes while the ignition is being turned off). Also, the starter does not "start" when I turn the key in the ignition.

I have also... - tested the coil (even substituted a new one) - checked the resistance in the spark plug wires and the wire to the coil - loosened, cleaned, and retightened the grounds at the fuel pump, transmission, at the battery negative, and under the coil - checked the fuses - checked connections at the coil, starter, distributor - checked voltage in the battery - checked the Hall control unit - tested the ignition switch - checked the Park and Neutral start wiring (one bulb was burnt out and I'm trying to start the car with the car in Park -- where the good bulb is -- with the two "Neutral wires" joined to each other).

Tomorrow I'm going to replace the Neutral start bulb, swap different relays in and out, but I'm starting to run out of ideas.

This seems like an electrical problem to me but I'm not sure where I should check next. I more than desperately welcome any suggestions!

Thanks.

Chris