Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 May 2000 14:37:18 -0400
From:         Mack Paschall <mpaschall@CPT.FSU.EDU>
Subject:      134A refridgerant

To all, A few weeks ago I posted a question on the advisability/practicality of changing my (dead) stock AC over to 134A. I received a lot of info, and after much thought finally took the van in to get fixed. I really wanted to try Freeze 12 (per Ken Wilford's good results), but neither of the shops I called would use it, and I don't have the tools, knowledge, or time to do a proper job myself. So, rather than immediately convert, I decided on the plan to have them check the system for leaks, identify needed parts, compare with conversion cost and ultimate cooling ability of repaired versus converted system. Big Caveat: I live just south of Tallahassee, Florida where summer has been in full swing for a few weeks, and average summer temperatures & humidity range between 85- 99 degrees with 75-100% humidity. Basically, I was willing to pay for absolute cooling ability. After being checked, it was determined a new receiver/dryer was needed, in addition to a full charge of Freon (3lbs, expensive). They quoted me the price for an available aftermarket receiver ($90) versus ordering an original ($160); I wanted to go with the aftermarket if they thought it would be as good. They said it was fine, so proceeded. This is getting wordy, so I'll cut to the chase: turns out aftermarket wouldn't work, parts store had the original in stock (for which I was only charged what I agreed to- the $90). They followed every proceedure (leak checks, vacuum, etc) that has been addressed on this list, and I paid for it. Guess what? What has been described to me many times as a bad system, is actually pretty darn good when properly serviced. The cost- high, but within what I had "guestimated" for when I bought the van. Thanks to all who have sent in info on this topic, and hope my little bit of info helps others.

Regards, Mack