Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 May 2000 23:50:17 EDT
From:         Eric Small <EricJSmall@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Head gasket replacement cost
Comments: To: dady@ocii.com

Doug wrote:

>>I joined this mail list today but am an owner of an 86 GL of approx 1 month. XXX On Friday last week my wife who drives it daily on short jaunts around town called to say she was 3-4 miles out of town and steam was coming out the back. I went there and the cooling system seemed to have developed a leak. The 2 resevoirs in the rear of the vehicle we full, the rear one fuller than you can manually fill it. The coolant was esdcaping from the hose near the motor and causing some sort of vacum that caused the water to locate to the rear resevoirs. XXX what I have been studying it seems like it is better to go ahead and do both sides at the same time. XXX Since you are into it what should I look for as far as wear? My compression rates are between 135-145. Can I get by just doing the gasket set at this point? The mechanic suggested that it may have got too hot and damaged the heads XXX Also I believe there is supposed to be an electric fan that comes on when things get too hot but mine must not be functioning as it never came on. Where is that fan located on the van? XXX Any info or tips you could give would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately this is our family means of conveyance so I don't want to be without for a long time. <<

Doug, you definitely want to do both sides at once. First, most good gasket sets come with components for both sides. Second, most of the work involved is just getting the engine drained and ready do pull the heads so you might as well do both sides. Third, I am told that doing just one side can cause load/performance imbalances between the "new" and "old" sides causing premature failure of the old side... then your back under the van (experts might comment on this point further).

Have the heads cleaned and pressure tested for cracks. Also look at the head-to-block mating surface. If it is pitted or eroded at all you will need new heads unless you have access to a creative mechanic/machine shop or other listees who have performed some minor miracles to repair old heads.

Mine never over heated and yours may not have either until it had pushed out a fair amount of coolant on the day your wife drove it. The condition may have existed when you bought the van but you never "worked" it enough before this time(?). As far as your cooling fan... its at the front of the van... It will only come on if temps at the radiator get to -I think- about 180-190F depending on the thermo switch installed. I suspect that as in my case the heating was localized in the engine due to "air" injected by the failed cylinder. The coolant didn'd circulate as it should and the heat never reached the radiator.

Being that it is your daily driver I would find an honest and experienced VW -preferably Vanagon- mechanic and have the job done for you. This won't be cheap but nobody ever said these vans were cheap to operate. I have spent over $25,000.USD operating mine for 8 years. The cost per mile is very high as compared with my other newer cars. But the fun per mile is also very high!

Good Luck.. I hope this helps even a little. Eric