Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 May 2000 09:21:30 -0700
From:         Houston <dubwisened@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Suggestions for internet access on the road? (Sort-of Vanagon
              content)

Internet cafes seem to be few and far between on the west coast, but I have had good luck keeping up with e-mail by using the computers at local libraries. Sometimes you have to wait, however. --- Geoff Wilke <gwilke@LIVEMUSIC.ORG> wrote: > I'm reluctant to take my laptop on a trip because I > have to keep it with > me...more stuff to take. I find an "internet café," > kind of place. Their > modem speeds are much better than I could get > through the air and I can > drink a late whilst catching up on my Email. > > Geoff > Seattle > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List > [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > David Raistrick > Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2000 7:13 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Suggestions for internet access > on the road? (Sort-of Vanagon > content) > > On Tue, 30 May 2000, The Bus Depot wrote: > > > the list (and email/internet in general) via my > laptop when I'm camping in > > my Westy over the summer! My laptop has a modem > but don't believe there > is > > any way to interface it with my cell phone (a > digital Audiovox with Bell > > Most cell phone manufactures sell adaptors for their > phones to allow you > to use a modem with them. They plug in to the modem > just like a normal > phone line...you then dial using the phone itself. > > Or, you can get an acoustic coupler (what! no > way!:), hello direct sells > them still. good quality, ought to work with a cell > phone with a bit of > thought. they claim max of around 9600bps connect > with them. they also > work with pay phones....also, for quick checks you > can usually talk the > camp host into allowing you to plug in to their > phone and use your > nationwide ISP local access #...(or 800 if you are > in the real boonies) > > This would be a good time also to check if your > email provider can set you > up with web-access to your email....much easier then > always downloading > what might be a large quantity of mail.... (blatent > ad: should your > provider not allow such, we'd be glad to set you up > with a full > pop3/imap/web email account for a small monthly > fee...contact me for more > information.;) > > > anyway...good luck. > > .....david > -- > David Raistrick '66 SO-44 Westy > keen@type2.com > > in Guyton Ga