Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 May 2000 16:34:16 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Millenium party
Comments: To: Jim Cain <jcain@mindspring.com>

Jim--

Nice to hear from you.

One evening a few weeks ago, I quietly typed the command "set Vanagon nomail" for the second time in as many years. While I am not ready to un-subscribe, and I miss the camaraderie, I am swamped with other messages, and obligations.

I am becoming active in civic affairs in our new town, in particular, in the re-education of local businesses, developers, planners, and town officials as to the perils and costs of "sprawl". Having lived in Fairfax, VA, and Cary, NC, I would like to ensure this town does not tread the same path as it grows. There are better alternatives: Spend 15 minutes at http://www.cnu.com for more information.

As with all things, like insulating and soundproofing our van, I approach this new endeavor with tremendous zeal, and full commitment, which leaves far less time for my friends on this list. I regret that, though, as with other occasions when I have signed off, I am not far away, and may return sooner rather than later.

As for the REAL millenium party, I cannot be the coordinator. Since it was my idea, I would like to suggest that you have it on South Padre Island, Texas, as it is central for all US/Hoser listees, and would be one of the few tolerably warm places this coming Dec 31st. Putting it in FL or CA would be a slight to the folks who live in Maine (Mourkas) or CA (Lussier).

If you REALLY miss my insipid commentary, (though it is now about urban planning, rather than VW's) I am on the Congress for the New Urbanism List. Send a message with SUBSCRIBE CNU in the body to listserv@lsv.uky.edu.

It ain't goodbye, so don't say farewell. Like Arnold said: I'll be back.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Mount Olive, NC USA 877.658.1278 tollfree

If you received a small "winmail.dat" file with this message, my apologies. Microsoft thinks that everyone should receive this stupid 'instructions' file with a mail message, whether you use Outlook97 or not. I have done my darndest to shut it off, but may have failed. As my punishment, I am going back to work now.

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Cain [SMTP:jcain@mindspring.com] Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2000 3:15 PM To: Bulley Subject: Re: Millenium party

Any more thoughts on the New Year's Eve gathering we discussed earlier on? I was cleaning out some mailboxes and came across your note.

I have given it some thought and believe that to get reasonable weather for camping and enjoying it en mass, we need to be in Southern parts of Texas, Florida, or other South West area. Even Northern Florida can be freezing around that time of year.

Last year, 2000, we all hugged a 1000 year old tree in Highlands Hammock State Park, near Sebring, FL. It was a real experience, 20 or so people ranging in age from a few months to their 70s, singing Auld Lang Sine in the middle of the woods by lantern light, circling this huge old Oak tree. We were the only Westy in the bunch, but it didn't seem to matter much.

Although I would prefer one site for all, it might work out better to have more than one place, maybe one east and one west, so that more folks can gather. Since I don't have to worry about schedules right now, I can go anywhere, but I know others have to deal with school Holidays etc.

Still plenty of time, but thought I'd see what is going on.

Jim, in Atlanta w/ 85 Westy