Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 May 2000 18:44:12 EDT
From:         Ed Goodrow <A84Westy@AOL.COM>
Subject:      VW Theme Park?

FYI Vagaonites. I can see massive refrigerators shaped like vanagons, maybe take the kiddies to Bug Land. Maybe the scary village will be called...Der Leaking Head land? VW To Build German Auto Theme Park

By HANS GREIMEL .c The Associated Press

WOLFSBURG, Germany (AP) - It's not often a theme park with its own five-star hotel proudly overlooks a steaming industrial complex, where sweaty workers bend iron into autos and towering smokestacks belch skyward.

But in car-crazed Germany, few cars are as venerated as homegrown Volkswagen.

Europe's biggest automaker is banking on that fierce brand loyalty with its latest venture - a self-styled car theme park called Autostadt, a cross between Disney World and the Smithsonian Institute that boldly extolls the virtues of the company that brought us the Beetle.

Expectations are so upbeat that the combination entertainment park, automotive museum will attract 1 million tourists a year that the Ritz Carlton hotel chain picked this gloomy factory town as the unlikely location of its second German hotel, after Berlin.

``When I first saw this site two years ago, I laughed. No way would somebody build a hotel here,'' said Ritz spokeswoman Vivian Deuschl. ``But now it's awesome. It's what you'd call industrial romanticism.''

Literally translated as Auto City, the 62-acre complex is wedged between train tracks, a dirty canal, Volkswagen AG's sprawling red-bricked auto works and the company's world headquarters.

In a world of cutthroat competition and high tech marketing among the big time automakers, it's hardly rare for major manufacturers to hype themselves with their own museums and visitor centers. But Volkswagen takes it all to the next level.

World-class architects were commissioned to erect the monumental, super modern halls sheathed in glass with cantilevered aluminum metal work. Paintings and sculptures adorn every turn of the corner.

``When I first saw the whole thing, I thought it was some kind of art gallery. I've never seen anything like it,'' said Li Ye, deputy director of the Chinese Industrial Regulatory Authority, who attended the opening ceremony during the return leg of a trip to visit the big three automakers in the United States.

But don't discount Autostadt's entertainment value.

While there's no roller-coaster or Ferris wheel, it does offer wind tunnel demonstrations, crash test simulations, a 360-degree cinema and even a go-cart track.

But the highlights are definitely the auto pavilions nestled between man-made lakes and gentling rolling pine-dotted hills. They showcase the cars of Volkswagen and its subsidiaries - from little-know daughter companies like Spain's Seat and the Czech Republic's Skoda to exotic eye-catchers like Lamborghini and Rolls Royce.

Even German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder was on hand to give Autostadt the nation's blessing during Wednesday's grand opening ceremony, which was timed to coincide with Expo 2000 taking place in nearby Hanover.

Volkswagen expects many of the visitors will be families. But others will be there to pick up the brand new cars they ordered from a local dealer, a prestige-building exercise long employed by Mercedes-Benz but a new move for a mass-market manufacturer like VW.

For VW, it's all an attempt to make buying their product not just a purchase, but a pageant.

``It's probably a stereotype that Germans have a special love affair with their cars, but I've seen so much interest generated overseas in the theme part, that I don't think its just a German phenomenon,'' Autostadt spokesman Stefan Vogel said.

Besides the pure entertainment and marketing value, Autostadt is also a shrewd political move by Volkswagen. The state of Lower Saxony, where Volkswagen is headquartered and has a vast network of plants, holds 16 percent of VW's stock and gladly welcomes the 1,200 new jobs that will be created at the theme park.

On the Net: Autostadt at http://www.autostadt.de/english/index.html