Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 May 2000 22:24:15 EDT
From:         Eric Small <EricJSmall@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sealant on metal head gasket and green o-ring?
Comments: To: glee@ultralink.com

Gary, as you may already know- you can confirm the combustion presure/gas in the coolant with a "block tester". You can get these from your local NAPA for about $50.

You are describing precisely the symptoms which I experienced with my van last fall before putting it away for winter. Mine ran fine around town but when the RPMs and load were up as on the freeway it would belch all it's coolant out. What a mess. I finally got the courage up this spring to try to do the head reseal job myself. Although it is not a quick job it is also not that difficult given the available info in the Vanagon.com archives and the experience of your fellow listees. I brought my heads to a local engine machine shop and had them cleaned and tested for $35. Mine tested fine. Like yours they were relatively new - only 25K miles since they were replaced new by a VW dealer. Sorry, I cannot comment on your sealant options... I would stick to the VW sealer products for the job as has been recommended by very experienced folks like Bob Donalds.

It is my opinion that you not try to simply re-torque the cap nut as you have already set up the leak routing and this remedy would likely only last until you were on a trip if at all. Also, I have seen some convincing material in the archives which indicates that the combustion gasses in the cooling system will cause a chemical deterioration of components (experts might comment further on this point). From this it is recommended that the cooling system be flushed regardless of the remedy.

Good luck, I hope this was useful. Eric Small So.Portland, Maine '86 GL Weekender