Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 May 2000 21:39:02 -0400
From:         kathy jacobs <sevwc@SEVWC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Too much Oil?

Well, guys. Yes it was measured on a level surface and it hadn't not been running anytime before I measured it. I am quite aware of the levels on the dipstick. But, It was getting dusk when I did it that evening, so I could have thought it needed more than it did. The question is though, with me supposeavely putting a little to much oil in there, would it cause it to escape in various locations around the motor. Every time we stopped we could smell the oil, it was burning on the exhaust. It ran fine all weekend and we did chekc the oil, before starting it up. Lonnie and Kathy Jacobs 87 GL ----- Original Message ----- From: Bill Davidson To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, May 29, 2000 9:45 PM Subject: Re: Too much Oil?

Well, Before coming to any conclusions let's make sure you are measuring the oil correctly: Let the van sit over night and measure the oil level before starting it up in the morning... to my knowledge that's the only way to get an accurate oil level reading. Bill ----- Original Message ----- From: kathy jacobs To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, May 29, 2000 5:06 PM Subject: Too much Oil?

Ok, so we were heading out of town and like normal I check the oil. It was getting dusk, so maybe it didn't need any or only half a quart. But I placed a whole quart in there. It does leak a little by the Oil filter. As me were on our trip this weekend. It leaked from all around the motor. WE checked it and by the time we got ready to come back today it was a half a quart low. Husband seems to think, If I had placed to much in there, the pressure might have made the rear main seal start to leak. Anyone have an idea about this? THanks Lonnie and Kathy Jacobs 87 GL

[text/html]