Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 May 2000 22:50:14 EDT
From:         Eric Small <EricJSmall@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: R12 vs. R134
Comments: To: Syncro86VW@aol.com

Blitz, as already has been pointed out R-12 is a superior refrigerant to R-134. I also subscribe to the conspiracy theory behind the banning of R-12. Much research seems to indicated that this is all based on bad and profit biased science, but what are you going to do.... This is America and you have to take the few bad things with the many good things.

In any case, I performed an R-12 to R-134 conversion on my 1990 Oldsmobile last year in conjunction with a complete AC system replacement (except the compressor which was a GM "R-134 ready" compressor). My experience was as I expected- it did not cool as quickly or efficiently and the compressor worked harder. Overall it worked fine for my A/C needs in Maine. If I were back in Texas it would likely have been unacceptable.

There are 2 significant reasons for NOT doing this conversion in your Vanagon. First, as I mentioned, your compressor will have to work harder. It is already old -this could push it over the edge then you will be spending money. Secondly, -and more importantly in the short term- the R-134 molecule is much smaller than that of R-12. If there are leaks or even weak spots in your old system they will be big leaks with R-134.

My van has required a recharge nearly every year as long as I've owned it. A recharge costs about $125-$160 depending on region and refrigerant availability/prices. In my mind its a cost of being cool... R-12 will be available for a long time -I budget for the annual expense and think bad things about the individuals responsible for the current arrangement -who ever they are!

Good-luck... I hope this is helpful Eric Small So. Portland, Maine '86GL Weekender