Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2000, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 May 2000 02:13:47 EDT
From:         Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rotoritis?

In a message dated 5/29/00 12:36:20 AM, volksman@ENTERACT.COM writes:

<< > I'm going to check out the rear drums, or maybe just go get them cut, > anyway just to be sure their round.

Chances are, they are the drums. I was a little too rough in removing my drums to inspect the shoes one time. After that I had a pulsating pedal. I have since than learned how easy it is to warp the drums. I now use a small grinder to open up the hub area slightly on the drum before installing to help in future removal. >>

Several things here: First, we all know Lord Bentley says that to inspect the shoes we are to undo that big-assed axle nut so that we can remove the drum and shoe as a unit. Sure! Try to tell that one to Ralph or Rick when the are doing my state inspection. I even had to fight with them not to lift the thing by centering a floor jack on the oil sump. One thing they did demonstrate which seems to work without too much harm is to pop off the drum by giving it a sharp INWARD blow on the OD with a ball peen hammer.

Secondly, if the drums are cut the shoes have to be radiused to match or there will be rather little shoe to drum contact. Don't count on them wearing in as they are used. I installed new shoes with cut drums once and after 30Kmi or so, the contact area still did not cover more than about 1/3 of the shoe. Where I live, the problem is finding a brake shop to radius the shoes. It seems with the warnings and regulations regarding exposure to asbestos, most do not want to piss with it anymore.

Lastly, I think using a grinder on the center hole of the drum is a risky practice. That hole is a close fit with the shoulder on the hub to accurately center the drum. Cleaning it up with some 180 grit AO cloth or a maroon-colored Scotchbrite pad then a careful application of Never-Sieze is all that I have found it needed. Rich