Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:54:42 -0400
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@TOAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fuel and temp guage way off on '84
Comments: To: Steve Manning <SManning@MKE.CATALYSTWMS.COM>

Assuming you have the same dash as I have on my 83.5 the regulator is mounted behind the dash gages. Take a look at the front of your dash clock. If you had x-ray vision and stared through the number "9" on that clock you would be looking right at that regulator. It is squarish with a large grounding lug on top and two or three legs coming out the bottom. It is mounted upside down so if you pop the top of the dash and look behind the clock you will see those legs plugged into a couple of fittings coming off of the blue plastic circuit "gizmo" (cant remember those damn terms). If you jamb your head against the windshield so you can see the grouding lug you will also see a single screw through that lug. that screw and those legs are the only attatchments. Take out that one screw and pull the legs down and out of the fittings. The only replacement I have been able to find were at the Volkswagen dealership.

It is part number 171-919-803 Cost in 1998 was $13.50

While it "should" be a simple out with the old and in with the new there are a few things that happened to me. I went through about 6 of these things in the space of 8 months. It seems that these things are VERY sensitive to heat and burn out a lot on some vans that put out just a tad too much voltage. I tried many things but what finally cured the trouble was an additional heat sink. If you want to go this route take your old regulator to the local Radio Shack and tell the man you want: 1. The narrowest heat sink he has that will still fit the regulator 2. "heat sink compound"

Unless they have changed the inventory in the last couple of years the man will hand you a card with two sinks that will look good but will still be too wide to mount on the dash. No problem, grab some pliers and bend that sucker until it is as narrow as you can get it while still allowing the regulator to fit down between those cooling wings. While bending make SURE that the flat area between the wings remains flat because that is your ground and also where the heat from the regulator will be conducted. You want as much contact between that flat area and the back of your regulator as you can get. When you get this right you will notice that the hole in the sink is not where it needs to be. Drill another one that will leave the legs of the regulator hanging about 2/3 in the air. The idea here is to leave ZERO chance of either those legs, or the fittings on the dash where the legs go, ever touching that sink and also to have ALL of that regulator touching the sink for better heat transfer. Having done this all that remains is to put all back togeather. I did this two years ago and that 6th regulator is alive and well.

I am not sure that all of these backflips will be necessary in your case. Simply popping out the old and popping in the new may do it for you but if not here is something to try.