Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:11:38 -0700
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Found an 89 Westy - Need Advice on Value
Comments: To: Phil Walker <pwalker@NEXTDIMENGINEERING.COM>

Phil:

This sounds high, unless you live here in California. I assume you are talking US Dollars? My personal opinion is that $1 extra spent for a really clean vehicle is $5 saved in parts, frustration, and pain down the road, so it may be a good investment. However, I have seen plenty of clean late Westies FS in other parts of the country for around $10k or a little less.

OTH, here in Santa Barbara (and coastal California in general) I spent two years looking at Westies and Syncro Westies in the $10,000 to $20,000 range, and I was always astounded at the poor condition of most that were under $13,000 or so. (I even looked at one that had been tipped over TWICE and repainted with an "Earl Sheib" type $199 paint job - the owner was asking $12,000 for it, and it was in TERRIBLE condition with oil dripping from the engine and mud all over the interior)

Good luck on your search,

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy (paid $18,000) Santa Barbara, CA