Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Jun 2000 23:40:53 EST
From:         James Flanigan <vanagon40@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Dimmer Switch

Getting right to the point:

Problem: I took apart my dimmer switch and am unable to figure out how to put it back together. I still have all parts in good shape. There is a U shaped plastic piece with a small round bar perpendicular to the bend that I do not know where it belongs. HELP!!!

The long story (for those interested):

About 18 months ago, my ignition switch failed in that it would no longer engage the start switch (would turn ON the van, but not engage the starter motor). As a quick fix, I jumpered in a starter switch (which has worked fine for 18 months). About the same time (not sure which happened first), my bright lights got stuck in the on position. They remained on even with the ignition switch off. As a quick fix I removed the fuses to the bright lights but even that did not completely solve the problem. I pull more fuses till the lights went off and ended up the 2 bright light fuses and the next one over removed. This solved that problem, but left me with no bright lights.

I also noted that my raditor fan would not come on. I then thought I had pulled the fuse to the raditor fan to get the brights out. I finally put in a direct manual switch to the high speed raditor fan (another quick fix).

After several messages to this board, everyone suggested that my ignition switch was the cause of all my problems. I never believed this was the cause of my bright light problem, but I was swayed by the unanimous consensus of the replies I received. I finally broke down and bought the $10.00 ignition switch.

Upon attempting to replace the ignition switch, I discovered it was the mechanical component of the ignition switch that was broken. (I have a few good leads on a new switch now.) Ignition switch problem solved (but not yet fixed).

So I figued that since the steering wheel was off and I had access to the dimmer switch, I would take it apart and see what was up. When I took it apart, the U shaped piece (problem above) fell out into my hands. I cannot figure out where it goes. However, everything inside the switch looked good.

With the dimmer switch unconnected, I put the fuse back in the slot next to the bright light switch. I noticed electrical arcing when I put in the fuse, and the right bright came on. I also noted electrical arcing behind the fuse panel when I replaced the fuse. I removed the fuse panel and discovered loose screw had fallen on the fuse panel, and was shorting the bright light circuit. I disconnected the battery and removed the errant screw and solved my bright light problem (except now the switch does not work due to my inability to put the switch back together).

I also noted that there was nothing connected to the fuse next to my bright light fuses, which means that my raditor fan problem was unrelated to the bright light problem which is unrelated to the ignition switch problem.

I am in the process of getting a new starter switch. I hope I get a response to this message that will enable me to fix my dimmer switch. Someday I may tackle my raditor fan problem (but don't count on it).

My '83 is still a daily driver. Will drive it to work on Monday with the no bright lights, a jumpered in starter switch, and manual operated raditor fan (same as the last 18 months). By the way, my horn quit after this last round of problem analysis. The steering shaft is no longer a good ground (the horn works when jumpered to a good ground). Maybe I'll try another "quick fix" and use a hose clamp to connect a ground wire to the steering wheel shaft.

See why I put my problem in the first paragraph......