Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jun 2000 08:24:51 -0500
From:         Steve Manning <SManning@MKE.CATALYSTWMS.COM>
Subject:      Fuel and temp guage way off on '84

Hi all,

I'm having a minor problem with the fuel and temp gauges being way off. Earlier in the morning, everything was fine. When I was leaving to go camping, The fuel gauge was on empty, ( I had at least a half a tank) and the temp gauge light was blinking. After driving for a few minutes, the light would stop blinking and the gauge moved into the first quarter of the range. This would be the point where the needle should be right in the center. I checked the coolant and reservoir, and everything was great. No bubbles in the tank. I do get a lot of heat, so I know this is not cooling system related.

I heard in the past that there is some sort of voltage regulator located with the dash cluster that controls the temp and fuel gauge. I also heard there could be a bad ground. If somebody could point me to the specific wires or part to look for in the cluster, that would be great. Somebody in the Milwaukee/Chicago area know about this? I will supply beer and yes of course brats. (bratwurst)

I have a feeling that if I let it sit, it will work fine again. Just typical VW quirky electronics. But this did not work this weekend.

Any ideas?? I have beer/brats and will travel.

-steve '84 westy