Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jun 2000 08:58:34 MST
From:         Kris Estes <krisestes@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Temperature gauge- Is this normal?

Hello all, While driving my 88' Westy on a small trip this weekend (2 hours)near Sedona, Arizona (temperature in 90's), My temperature gauge was doing the following. At the start it was at it's usual "in-town" setting which is slightly below the light. After a half hour or so on the road in moves on up to the halfway point (directly over the light). I ran the AC for an hour while going downhill and then shut it off after I noticed the needle start to creep up a bit past halfway. It seemed to stay there for a while and crept a little higher at which point I did hear the fan switch on but it never returned to the "halfway mark". The return trip home was done entirely at night and the only time that the needle went over halfway was up a significant climb (1800ft) at which point the needle went a bit past the halfway point (I never push it up the hills). I have never had the light come on and I just had the coolant flushed last week. Is this type on Temp flucuation normal for Vanagons? My other vehicle (96 Subaru ) shows no variation on the temp gauge at all so I am wondering if I have reason to be concerned. At what point is it considered "running hot"? Is it anything above the ligt or is it just when the light goes off?

Thanks for any advice.