Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:34:24 -0700
From:         VW Master <vwmaster@VOLKS-MOTORSPORTS.COM>
Subject:      Engine conversions (Was: I've seen the Tii conversion completed
Comments: To: bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM, wdavidson@THEGRID.NET,
          sales@tiico.com

Ok people, all great things to be considered! I think that you're on base with the fact that a TEAM of highly paid engineers Designed the SA kit. I think it would be good to have the engine conversion info compiled into one area so people can make Informed decisions on this topic without having to post to the list for feedback.

Personally I've been deep into this conversion topic for quite some time. I too live in the state of California and deal with smog Laws everyday. I know exactly what it takes to get a conversion kit through CARB testing first hand. What I'm talking about is NOT each individual kit, just for a company to get its kit through the initial testing and scrutinizing of the state people. What you Need to understand is that and independent lab does the testing for the state. They in turn give all the data and info to the state And a decision is made to give the conversion a CARB # or not.

I've been through this in the past and it looks like the future holds another round with the testing agency on the TII kit.

I will go out on a limb here a bit and say that the TII kit has a better chance at getting through testing than ANY other kit has in The past. There are my reasons for this.

This kit is a VW Replacement kit. It is not a conglomeration of parts, Cut wires and pieced together as some of the other Kits on the market are. I need to clarify that I despise Subaru engines too. I have seen 911 conversions, Ford V6 conversions And a number of different ways to stuff an inline VW engines into a vanagon too. TII's kit is the answer to our need for horsepower and Reliability. It truly could be the answer to our wants, needs and desires with our Vanagons shortcomings.

To address the Transistor issue, I'm not sure what the length of time issue is or was on getting that part but the part is a stock VW part available in the US used on 92-98 Jettas & Gulfs.

To show my confidence in this kit, I'm going to be installing a TII kit into a Syncro Tri-Star that I have here. This is for a customer of mine that has the Tri-Star, Registered in the State of New York so we're not worried about the smog laws of California. This customer also has the Eurospec Kit in his 7 Passenger Syncro Vanagon. He is extremely excited with the TII kit due to the fact that he and I have walked through a number of challenges with the weaknesses in the Eurospec kit.

I'm not going to get into the weak links in anyone's kits. My goal with this e-mail is to pass on info that I have and to let the Vanagon community knows that there is positive steps being taken to get the TII kit CARB legal and IMO it's something that will come to fruit and we all will benefit from it.

Kyle

-- Kyle Wade 831-426-1431 www.volks-motorsports.com ICQ # 3882975