Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Jun 2000 20:41:56 -0700
From:         Stuart <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: slipping out of 4th gear
Comments: To: Gary <glee@ULTRALINK.COM>

Gary,

Do a careful analysis to determine how much you will save with a DIY rebuild if you don't have the tools or experience. I'll bet you will be very close to the cost of a pro rebuild when you add in the cost of tools, the time it will take, the "ignorance factor", and lack of a warranty, especially since you are in western Canada and reasonably close to http://aatransaxle.com in Duvall, WA. Either way, I'm sure Daryl will be happy to consult with you.

The Syncro is more complicated, but certainly possible to do yourself. You will need a press with a selection of lengths of pipe in various diameters for use as pressing sleeve's, a bearing separator, a brass drift, and a dial indicator for setting up the differential. And, of course, a clean place to work and lots of patience. Several clean and labeled bins for parts are essential too.

Be sure to refill with synthetic Red Line MT-90 when you are done, and change it every 50,000 miles. You will probably get 50% or more mileage out of the rebuild if you do this. So far my 2WD rebuild has gone 20% farther than my original (120,000 mi.), and is still fine.

I do my own MGB transmission rebuilds, they are simple, but I'd rather pay a pro and get a warranty on the Vanagon transaxles since they are more complex and expensive to rebuild, especially the syncro.

Have fun whatever you do, and good luck!

Stuart