Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jun 2000 02:09:53 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 84 westy mirror
Comments: To: roch333@hotmail.com

In a message dated 6/5/2000 3:06:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, roch333@HOTMAIL.COM writes:

<< I haven't had to navigate with mirrors before so I still feel uneasy not being able to see. >>

There are Vanagon passenger side mirrors that are convex. I.E. the ones that say "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" They were standard issue on later vanagons I believe and are on many if not all late model cars and mini-vans. My sister has a van called Quest with the convex "objects..are closer..." mirror and I have to say I like it. Really reduces the blind spot IMHO. I keep thinking of getting one for my Vanagon but the price keeps me away. West Coast Metric has them for $112.70 and they are identical (give or take) to the existing black non-electric vanagon mirror except for the mirror itself which of course is convex. If Ron has them at www.busdepot.com I'll bet they are a little cheaper--but it's sort of a select item so hard to find real cheap. The part number in West Coast Metric is: 251-8512G.

Having said that I use the square reflectors on both outside mirrors on the inside lower corner. I stuck em on then used shims out of toothpicks or whatever to slightly adjust them so they work best. But the convex reflectors are small and in my opinion to use them you really have to be on top of your game. I mean they work great and definately show objects in the blind spots, but that's a small mirror across the width of the cab.

Another option is the after market full convex mirror add-ons that attach to the top or the bottom of your outside mirror. They do not block any of the existing outside mirror. These are probably three or four inches across and are oval sort of. They bolt to the top or bottom of the outside mirror. And they are adjustable once bolted just like your existing outside mirror but adjust independent of it. I have seen them at Pep Boys Auto Parts and in the AAA catalogue for about $15 each. I have not used them on my vanagon but have seen them on a chevy caprice and they increase your view of the blind spot quite a bit. The drawback IMHO is they are about 1" total wider than the Vanagon mirror (which would amount to a 1/2 inch on each side) so would stick out and ruin the rakish factory lines of the bus. I'd like to hear from anyone who has used this set up if such an animal exists.

And while we're on the topic of mirrors I have added an additional inside mirror that is glued to the windshield about 3 or 4 inches above the dash. As long as no one is in the back seat it gives me a good view behind the bus since the factory inside mirror is obstructed by the Air Conditiong unit mounted to the ceiling by the rear window. I think it cost about $10 at FLAPS and has day/night adjustment and looks factory enough if some clever devil doesn't count to two and ask, "Why do you have two mirrors?" My response, "Just look at me!"

Sorry about the length here but mirrors are kind of a hobby.

Hope at least some of this helps.

Jeff 83.5 Westy NYC