Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jun 2000 06:35:49 -0700
From:         Mark Mages <wasserbox@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Screen on pop top canvas.
Comments: To: Steve Kroll <spkroll@mailandnews.com>

The only real advice I can give, is to get a helper and work in the shade. I did the first 3/4 by myself in a un-covered parking lot in Houston, and the last 1/4 with a helper in a shaded driveway in Colorado. The last 1/4 was harder, but much more pleasant

First take the cushions out.

It was almost 2 years ago, so my memory is a lil foggy. You have to remove the lifter-bar. I unbolted it from the top, then used some zip ties to secure it in the down position. Mine was VERY spring loaded, and almost knocked me out. Then with the lifter bar out, I proceeded to drop the unsupported top on my head too. I don't recommend trying either of these. They don't make the job any easier.

The order to go (may be disputable) is to do the back first. I did , back bottom, back top, front bottom and then front top.

Just make sure that you don't lose any screws, and marking the metal bars as you remove them wouldn't be a bad idea either. It's no fun searching for screws or trying to figure out which strip goes where.

And as to those little wooden blocks for the corners... After the first one, I didn't even attempt to get them in the holes. I haven't had any ill effects from NOT having them yet.

HTH a little Mark

--- Steve Kroll <spkroll@mailandnews.com> wrote: > Can anyone who has installed the canvas top (sounds > like you have first > hand experience, Mark) give some pointers as to how > to do it, hints and tips? > > I am the proud owner of a new (to me at least) '81 > camper which has a torn > 1-window top. I want to go to the three window top > for this upcoming > summer of camping. > > If searched the FAQ etc as I am sure someone has > made a page about > this. Any hit or pointers are greatly appreciated. > > Thanks in advance, > Steve > > > > > > > At 12:38 PM 6/5/00 -0700, Mark Mages wrote: > >If you're up for it (and think about this > carefully), > >you can remove the pop-top canvas entirely (easy as > >pie) take it down to your local tent-repair shop > (also > >easy) cough up $40 or so (still easy) have them > >replace it with a nylon mesh that will not become > >brittle in the sunlight over time, then re-attach > the > >canvas yourself (almost impossible without a > helper, > >and a royal pain with one..) > > > >The fiberglass screen will keep ripping. If it is > bad > >in one spot, then chances are the whole thing is > >coming apart, and you will keep patching holes til > you > >replace it. > > > >My .02 > > > >Mark > >

===== Mark

87 Westfalia Gl 84 Scirocco 8v

http://student.fortlewis.edu/~mwmages/