Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jun 2000 07:25:20 -0400
From:         Gary Stearns <gstearns@SPRINTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Me and our '88 are glad to be back

Hi Listees!

Haven't been here since August / September of '98. At that time our '88 swallowed it's engine (sudden major headgasket failure on startup that got enough coolant in the cylinder to fracture a piston). Took us a year (mostly having nothing to do with the Vanagon) to decide that we would not do a conversion, but stick with a rebuilt Waterboxer. In the meantime, with our Vanagon in storage in the garage, I couldn't stand reading the mail from all of you other listees, so I dropped out. Got the rebuilt from Fast German Auto last summer. Included performance upgrade of ratio rockers and the S&S header. The rebuild was installed by me and my 11 year old son. We drove it from August to December 25, 1999. We hit a deer coming back from Christmas at my brother's house. Original estimate: $5,500 and the adjustor wanted to total it. Chose a body shop that rebuilds show quality splitties. I accepted a used door and radiator, and he limited his labor cost. We're back in business.

Just last weekend I finally got all of our performance potential working together. I'll list what we've done. Might look like I'm made of money, but lots of people throw their money at worse things. Engine: Ratio Rockers, K&N Air Filter, S&S Headers, 16V Scirocco catalyst (the BIG one), 2.25" Walker Super Turbo muffler w/ stainless tailpipe (truly sounds nice, had a 16 year old convinced it was a 911 engine!), Jacobs ignition amplifier, Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, Spring on AFM advanced 4 notches (richer), ignition timing advanced 4-5 deg. Everything else is new and/or very carefully set up. Has amazing torque off of idle, it pulls **hard** to redline. I can pull out and pass others at 70mph uphill!! Other stuff: stock springs lowered approx. 1.5" by cutting and heating (don't ask, I know about butcher jobs, this one's close), Bilsteins with lowered bottom mounts and polyurethane foam bumpstops. Front and rear camber set to negative one degree. Experimented with H&R springs. Clearly they were designed for the aircooled Vanagon. The weight of the Waterboxer totally overwhelms them. Did lots of other experiments too. Had great handling that rode like a skateboard, then had a front end that porpoised so hard the wheels came off the ground. A Vanagon sure is not like other cars. Finally have gotten a good, tight ride and great handling. Still have stock 14" alloys and "K-Mart" tires. Trying to figure out what to do with this, although I do like the stock look. Headlights are euro square H4's and H1's with xenon white bulbs (I can see! I can see!) Fogs mounted upright on the bumper are Hella Rallye 1000's.

This Vanagon has become a blast to drive. My kids love the attention from their friends about our "ccol van". My other car is a modified and very quick '92 16V Jetta. It hasn't left the driveway in 3 months!

Vanagons sure are versatile. They can be a house on wheels, or a "sportsbox"!!

Gary

[text/html]