Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jun 2000 08:19:48 MDT
From:         Randy Herd <randyherd@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Valve Adjustment Report

On May 22nd I spoke with Bob Donalds about his theory on valve adjustment.

On May 23rd I adjustment my valves to ZERO clearance. The engine was warm (almost too hot to touch) and I used my fingers to tighten the adjusters.

On May 24th I started a road trip that ended 2500 miles later on June 3rd.

Observations: The intermittent power brake pressure loss has completely disappeared; compression in all 4 cylinders is better and almost equal; better power on acceleration and on hills.

For 5 years I have had an occasional lifer collapse problem after high speed (70) highway miles. As soon as I slowed down the engine would clatter and run bad, but would clear up so quickly I could not determine which cylinder was having problems. About 1900 miles into this trip I started losing power and when I pulled over determined that I had a severe engine clatter. I initially thought that I had dropped a valve. After about 30 minutes I restarted the engine and the clatter stopped as soon as the oil pressure came up. I could not find a shop that would either work on a vanagon or could get the parts so I drove about 600 miles 45 minutes at a time with 30 minute breaks to get back to El Paso.

I now know which cylinder has a bad lifter.

When I replace both lifters (don't know which one) I will adjust them to zero.