Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jun 2000 08:42:29 MDT
From:         Randy Herd <randyherd@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Trouble comes in threes - Bus Depot bailed me out

Just took a 2500 mile trip from El Paso, TX to Northern MO and back.

1. The day before I left I lost a hubcap - made a really interesting noise sliding down the road at 45mph until it went under a semi tire.

2. Rock broke the left side driving light going through Weatherford, OK.

3. Developed BIG leak in right side of radiator about 100 miles SW of topeka. No way to get it repaired so I used bars leak and stopped about every 30 mintes and put in about a 1/2 gal of water and bled it until I arrived in MO late Fri nite.

4. On Tue a local rad shop said he could fix it and to bring it in on Wed.

5. On Wed he said he didn't mean he could fix it anytime soon, he wanted me to pay a deposit to order a new radiator and said that it would be 1 or 2 weeks before he could actually work on it.

6. On Wed afternoon I called the Bus Depot and Ron had a new raditor at my location at 9:00 am the next morning. Very good since he didn't have one in stock. This is not the first time that Ron has gotten me out of trouble, and I don't really know how to thank him.

7. On the way back my idle stabilizer valve (which had been unplugged for a week) really went bad. A Texaco station on the freeway directed me to a VW dealer 30 miles away in Ponca City, OK. When I got there I discovered the the VW dealer had been closed for 3 years. By accident I discovered a shop (Tune-Up Masters) on the main drag where Glem (used to work at VW) diagnosed the problem, plugged up the valve, said that I probably should get a new one, sent me on my way in less than 30 minutes, and didn't charge me anything.

8. Lost a hyd lifter (seperate post)