Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jun 2000 07:34:58 -0700
From:         harald_nancy <harald_nancy@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: P-trap removal

Adam, The trap assembly is installed the same way as it would be in your kitchen sink. I also replaced the complete assembly with a new one in my westy. The problem I had was that the inner stainless steel screw/strainer (the one that you see from the top of the sink) was so stuck to the plastic part underneath with 10 year old crud (and the plastic probably also shrank) so that it wouldn't unscrew. If that's your problem, you should take out all the shelves and drawer from the sink cabinet, and get a pillow, and make yourself comfortable on your back. Use a hacksaw blade to notch the plastic part underneath the sink to release the tension. Then you can unscrew the top stainless part. (if you do that, be careful not to cut too deep and damage the stainless steel screw/strainer threads). You can also try to use a heat gun to warm up the plastic part under the sink to soften it a little. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the stainless screw/strainer in place from the top, while unscrewing the plastic fitting underneath the sink. Good luck. Harald '90 westy

---------- > From: Puzerewski <Puzerewski@EMAIL.MSN.COM> > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: P-trap removal > Date: Thursday, June 01, 2000 6:13 PM > > Can anyone tell me how to remove an old ptrap without destroying something?? > I do not want to bust anything else on the sink!!! > > ADam Puzerewski > 81 westy