Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jun 2000 11:03:17 -0500
From:         Katy <katya@NETINS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cold Engine/high idle

Hi Volks,

Well I'm hoping that my over zealousness of detailing my 89 Westy and installing clear plastic carpet runners over the freshly shampooed front carpet I shoved something I shouldn't have near the accelerator pedal the night before. In the morning when I started it I noticed the idle was going too high (over 2400 rpm) popped it a few times to lower it though unsuccessfully and just figured it was cold (or a little sticky) and went and took a 12 mile drive to a friends house in the next town. Well it still seemed a little high when warmed up at idle through town. So when leaving to go home it did the same thing but then went normal (about 1100 rpm) so I felt confident and fine on the way home. Pull into the driveway and she's revving again when I put it in park. Shut her down. So I poked around the accelerator pedal pulled out the plastic from behind and all around it, to make sure nothing was making it stick and started her up again. Yikes 3000 rpm SHUT DOWN. . Crap. So I figure the cable is sticky or something. Crawl underneath to take a look and find everything is covered and I'd have to take off the spare to see anything and maybe that cover plate. Crap again the Bentley won't be here from the Bus Depot till Thursday.. Pull the engine cover to take a look there, find the spring and throttle move it back and forth a couple of times and it seems fine. Start her up again and the same thing. Will pray it fixes itself overnight. Pop the top to let the kids sleep in her last night and downloaded my e-mail. Then I noticed this post below on the list.

> There is a switch under the throttle housing on the engine that can cause > this problem. My 86 had similar symptoms along with when warm would idle a > little too fast. With the engine off, move the throttle with your hand and > listen for the on/off click.

I don't hear any click when the engine is not running. Is this a bad thing??? This is an 89 Westy GL 2.9, automatic.

>I was able to save mine by removing it,

Removing what? What does it look like and where is it?

> soaking it in break free over night and working the button switch a bunch of > times. New ones are available from list vendors.

> If it is the idle stabilizer valve, just unplugging it may not work.

Where is this idle stabilizer valve and what does it look like? Sorry for having the stupids but as I said my Bentley won't be here till tomorrow and I don't want to ask hubby unless I HAVE too. I want to learn to take care of her myself if I'm going to own and drive her. Actually I'm so gun-ho on this,, when the bearings get here, hubby is going to pull up a chair and tell me how to do it, while I do the RF wheel bearings myself :o)

> went bad a couple of weeks ago just before I left on a long trip so I > unplgged it.

Unplugged what? The idle stabilizer valve?

>After about 1500 miles my idle would not drop below 3000 rpm > and I had to plug the hoses.

What hoses? Vacuum hoses going to this idle stabilizer valve, I'm assuming.

Someone please tell me I just need to get some kind of spray stuff because the accelerator cable is just sticky from gravel roads.

Katy 89 Westy "Jezebel"