Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Jun 2000 08:37:50 EDT
From:         kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Me and our '88 are glad to be back
Comments: To: gstearns@SPRINTMAIL.COM

Gary et all; Here's how I did it. Get the engine fully heated. Unplug the O2 sensor and hook up a VOM to it. If the engine is running rich it will read about one volt. If it is lean it will read near zero. Adjust said wiper arm spring to read near .5 volts. Use the hidden allen screw to fine tune. Three things: all readings are at idle and you need a good VOM and O2 sensor.

Drive Safely & Good Luck Ken Lewis <Kernersville,NC> 86 VW crewcab;60 356B Coupe --------------------------------------------------

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 13:09:56 -0400 Gary Stearns <gstearns@SPRINTMAIL.COM> writes: >I see how this could be confusing. You're right I did mean that the >spring >tension was reduced, which then advanced the position of the "wiper" >further >forward. > >I should add that yesterday I discovered that the plug connecting 4 >wires to >the AFM had very poor wire attachments. It has the "power timer" >connections, (anyone know if these were original or a dealer installed >recall?). The wire to Temp Sensor I (intake air temp) was down to one >strand attached to the connection. I removed all 4 power timers from >the >plug block (which was a bear to do), and soldered the connections. As >a >result, my previous AFM setup is no longer spot-on. I've got better >low end >torque, but I think I'm going to find that moving the AFM wiper by 4 >notches >was too much. Probably going to have to fall back to 3 or 2. I'll >post >what works. > >Gary > >----- Original Message ----- >From: Austin <austins@IX.NETCOM.COM> >To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 1:04 AM >Subject: Re: Me and our '88 are glad to be back > > >> At 07:25 AM 6/7/2000 -0400, you wrote: >> >> >..., Spring on AFM advanced 4 notches (richer),... >> > >> >Gary >> >> Wouldn't increasing the tension *lean* out the mixture? Seems like >it >> would take more air mass to move the plate w/resistance added (?). >> >> Austin >>

________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.