Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Jun 2000 08:05:15 -0700
From:         BRENT CHRISTENSEN <bchristensen@INFOGENESIS.COM>
Subject:      FW (from www.vanagon.com): '87 Vanagon

Can anyone help this poor guy? Sounds like he has really been given the royal treatment by his local dealer...

As usual, please respond to him and not me!

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

-----Original Message----- From: GARY TRENT [mailto:IMUSACC@worldnet.att.net] Sent: Friday, June 09, 2000 4:43 AM To: info@vanagon.com Subject: '87 Vanagon

Dear Sirs; I have been plagued by a problem that simply refuses to surface for the VW Dealer. What it is is that the shift pattern and gear engagment are really fine, then I'll try to down shift and it will resist and act like it just tried to go into reverse. Other times it goes into third instead of first, though it feels like first. At a stop light (from a stop) I usually have to go to reverse, often with difficulty, and then to first position before letting out the clutch. It also jumps out of gear unless I hold it in place, this was this am, and seemed to jump out as I decelerated. The dealer told me yesterday that everything looked fine, linkages etc, and they changed the shift coupler (an Independent VW center in St. Mary's , Ga. said they didn't have one and I needed one.) All this surface acouple of months ago as the gas tank was deteriorating and clogging the fuel pump, $500.00 later and I now have a new tank, but when all this occured it killed the fuel pump, (I had replaced it only five or six months before) so the Indep. tech put a filter between the tank and pump to preserve the new pump til I could get the tank replaced. Not knowing what was happening, and enroute to Orlando from Savannah, I noticed a significant, and sudden loss of power as I pressed on the accelerator though the van kept going slower, so I down shifted, and see-sawed back and forth between third and fourth, til I killed my clutch just getting it to St. Mary's , I was between Brunswick and Jax as it happened. They installed a new clutch -during the next week, needless to say Orlando was out of the question . ( I have 2wd, water cooled)

I like my VW but I have about reached my frustration level since the dealer insists they can find nothing wrong. The bill was $1500.00 ( not including the clutch and pump installed at @ St. Marys an additional $600.00), and other than a new shift coupler and gas tank & diagnostic I'm no better off than I was. Anybody else had this problem?

Gary Trent Savannah, Ga.

[text/html]