Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Jun 2000 21:18:44 -0400
From:         Jim Cain <jcain@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Friday: George has a name!

I know that some of you put great thought into the names you give your babies, including your Vanagons and Westys. I enjoy the variety that I see on the list. My brother-in-law named ours "Herbie" because of that movie about the VW Bug that talked. I never liked it, the movie or the name, but went along. Well, my wife went along too, except she has gone along somewhere else and I still have the car, so I have had a no-namer for a while and have given it great thought.

A little background here: My dad bought the first Westy in our family in 1968, had it delivered to Stuttgart Germany where I was stationed at the time. I picked it up and drove at a week or so before delivering it to him. I later bought my first Westy in 1970 and he and mom eventually drove theirs to Tierra del Fuego, Chile. He was a great fisherman (I'm getting to the point soon) and used to fish from the dock in the Florida Keys. There was often a Great Blue Herron that landed on the dock beside him waiting for him to catch a little fish that Dad would feed the Herron. The Herron would not leave until he was fed. This went on for several years and Dad got to calling the Herron, George for some reason. He would come in and say, "Well I finally got one to feed George, so I could quit." Well, since that time, any time we see a Great Blue Herron, we call it George. You know, like we would come back from bird watching and say, "We saw a Little Green Herron, two Ibis, and three Georges."

The point, finally: Dad passed away two years ago next week, and in his memory, I am calling my Westy "George".

They all three, the Herron, the VW, and my dad, were steady, and very stubborn. They all three leave a mess wherever they have been, Dad, anything he had in his hands, the VW a little oil, and the Herron, well, you know, little white spots. I've cussed them all three many times, but love them dearly, so it fits. So it is now,

Jim in Atlanta with George, '85 Westy