Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Jun 2000 13:18:32 -0400
From:         kathy jacobs <sevwc@SEVWC.COM>
Subject:      Re: possible main seal leak
Comments: To: SUSAN OBRIEN <bugaboo7@EMAIL.MSN.COM>

WOW! I have the same problem. Husband is fixing to fix the problem. Ours is the rear main seal, but transmission is leaking too! So he will do both at one time. The only bad to this is he has to drop the motor! Let me tell you, he is just soooooo excited about doing it! Anyone that has already done anything of this sort, please give us some hints! Kathy Jacobs South Eastern VW Club www.sevwc.com 87 GL ----- Original Message ----- From: SUSAN OBRIEN To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2000 10:09 AM Subject: possible main seal leak

Hi list, I am new to the list {and vanagons as well} this is truly a wonderful resource of information. I think that my 85 Westy might have a main seal leak, the area around the trans. {where the differential and the motor meet} is wet with oil. It is hard to tell how much is oil, as the trans. pan is seeping as well and blowing back as we drive. I am replacing the trans. pan gasket today, which should give me a better idea of what I am looking at {main seal wise} Anyway my question is, if the main is only leaking a small amount, how long could I put off replacing the seal? we are leaving for vacation in a couple of weeks, and I don't have the time to do repairs before we go. It is a fairly short trip of 500 or so miles. Any thoughts? thanks for all tips and help from the list. Alan 85 Westy

[text/html]