Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Jun 2000 11:47:08 -0400
From:         "(Donna Cassano)" <pokeswagon@BLAZENET.NET>
Subject:      more cooling system weirdness

Marc - I probably can top your stupid question.

All this talk of weird cooling systems sounds somewhat familiar. And suggestions for troubleshooting are wonderful. I love this list. There is so much regular guy (gal) experience out there.

I've had this van for almost a year now and have just started poking my head in the engine compartment. I know, "Bad Vanagon owner, Bad.". When I first got it, the temp light would just flash and flash until gauge got to 1/2 way warm. This was freaking me out, being that I was new to water-cooled Vanagon (owned an air-cooled for 9 years). My VW mechanic checked the system and said that it was just a bad sensor to the light, but that the gauge was working fine and he disconnected the light. I really wasn't wild about that, but I figured what the hell, I'm used to keeping one eye on my dash board at all times, I just pay close attention to the gauge. So far everything has been fine. Gauge has yet to go more than a smidge past center. Haven't heard the fan come on yet - I know, this could be good or bad, but the gauge says we're not hot yet (sure hope that gauge is right). Have been some fluctuating levels of coolant with no visible signs of leakage. I'm guessing air in the system. I want to open the expansion tank but I'm afraid of putting more air in there. Do I need to worry? I did notice that the hose from the expansion to the overflow looks a little fuzzy in spots. That will be replaced ASAP as I understand that may be where the air is coming from. Can anyone tell me what is the right size & pressure for this hose is?

I'm having mechanic flush coolant and refill in a couple of weeks. Is there anything else I should have him do at this time besides close inspection of hoses, etc...

Newbie to Water-cooled. ALL input is welcome.

Peace - donna '84 Westy (Pepe)