Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Jun 2000 18:06:09 +0200
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: little green box

"(Donna Cassano)" wrote:

> Hi Volks, > > While poking around the engine compartment today a few things caught my > eyes. Any input? > > What is the little green box on the left sidewall of the engine > compartment? It has two places to plug "things" into and mine are both > empty. Somewhat below/infront of it are two "things" plugged into each > other that look kind of curious. I'm thinking that these should be > plugged into the little green box. I can't pull them apart (is there a > trick), so I can't tell if they really do go to the little green box. > Little green box has Part # 251 906 083 on it. Any words of wisdom out > there.

This sounds like the idle stabilizer w/plugs. The plugs are supposed to be removed and joined together wen the timing and idle speed is to be set. You should replace the plugs in the box.

> > > Also, there are two other "things" waving in the breeze. They definitely > appear to belong together. Female end is attached to a heavyish green > wire and the male end is attached to a thin black wire that goes to a > sensor (?) on the exhaust pipe heading to the cat. converter. My guess > that this is some emissions sensor or the like and it's probably not > harming anything by not being connected. Yes, No, Maybe so?

This is obviously the O2 sensor, it measures the fuel mixture and tell the ECU how to adjust the fuel/air mixture. As I've never seen one of these on any Vanagon, I cannot tell you how they should be connected. The Syncro's I've owned didn't have any O2 sensor.

I'm sure 500 others will chime in here and tell you how :-)

> > > My gut says that VW put these "things" in there for a reason, so maybe I > should get them working and reconnected.

Absolutely EVERYTHING that VW put in there has a reason. NO car manufacturer puts in stuff in their cars without any reason. Now, if their reason is good or questionable, that is a whole 'nother discussion.

PerL