Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Jun 2000 14:43:35 -0700
From:         HP <vanagon@MAIL.COM>
Subject:      HELP, won't start now and then!

I need some help. Our 87 Westie 2.1L with an Auto tranny, has a strange problem. This is an intermittent problem. Sometimes it won't start, most times it does. When it doesn't, it turns over, fuel pump works but it just isn't getting any spark. My friend ( owns a VW repair shop) has replaced coil , distributor cap and rotor, plugs , wires, checked and rechecked all grounds, connections, fuses, fuse box, ignition switch and wiring , and Halls sending unit. Each time we try in the shop it will start, runs great. We try over and over and the problem will not appear. Then drive it and it still runs, drive it again to the store and it won't start. Turns over but no spark. If you then sit for an hour or so, it will suddenly start again. We did get it to die once while running at the shop. But it started right up again. Anybody have any ideas ? All input would be helpful. We had to cancel the trip to Disneyland with the kids. We were all packed and got about 1 mile from the house, stopped at the store, and when we restarted it ran for 10 seconds then died. Wouldn't restart until we were unloading it off the tow truck at the shop. As you can see, it's quite frustrating.

thanks

Pete Elmer Pioneer, CA.