Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Jun 2000 22:37:48 -0700
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>
Subject:      '87 Westfalia, general updates...

No responses necessary, unless someone has any tips or insights on the following.

I have successfully performed or accomplished the following activities or milestones on my recently acquired '87 Westfalia:

1) Installed a new, so-called "direct-fit" catalytic converter which enabled me to pass smog. This unit went in with no problem, but the design of the mounting flanges is such that it is more prone to leak at the gaskets. This situation is exacerbated by the fact that the van has a 4-into-1 header and non-stock muffler, so the mounting flanges were not exactly parallel to each other without some "tweaking" on my part.

Otherwise, the converter is apparently converting.

2) Turned on my propane supply and tested both my stove and refrigerator. Both work. The fridge lighted only after "preheating" the chamber by driving around with it switched to 12VD, as recommended by several list members. I didn't run the fridge long enough to chill anything, but the fins felt real cold after about 30 min. I plan to install a fan to aid in cooling. This unit was apparently not used very much, as it is immaculate, and is complete with both door trays and both ice cube trays. I've been told that replacement Dometic RM182 parts difficult to find. The stove has also been seldom used: the blue protective plastic is still covering the metal burner cover.

3) Installed replacement stereo speakers: 4" Panasonics (80W) in the doors and A/C housing, so as to not have to cut or modify any of the panels. These sound pretty good, although the location of the speakers, especially the rear ones, leaves something to be desired in terms of bass. I am going to live with it for awhile, but when I eventually by a CD player, I may also invest in an amp and subwoofer, although I hate to give up any storage space. The current stereo is a 4 x 35W tape deck, and I think the speakers probably need more power to sound better (they are spec'd at 20W nominal, which, if I understand audio power, I'm not putting out currently)

4) Ordered parts and accessories: new shocks, pop-top seals, tune up parts, filters, etc.

Work planned for this summer:

New shocks (KYB GR2's F/Gas-a-Just's R)

New tires (current ones are passenger car radials, need LT with reinforced sidewalls; handling in cross winds and turns is EXTREMELY awful due to tires and worn shocks!)

Clean and repaint pop-top in original color, replace seals

Add second battery for appliances (ordered Hella kit for this)

Install a decent sound system (CD/amplifier) to go with new speakers. *** I welcome any and all comments with regard to the above.

Dan