Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:13:34 +1000
From:         Ray Hunnam <hunnam@PNC.COM.AU>
Subject:      Wisdom of List Sought

Hi Gang.

Picture this ? I am driving along the highway have just travelled about 300kms at speeds varying from 60 kph to 110 kph. Stopped for lunch about 30 minutes and re commenced the journey. I travelled about 30 kms and whilst going up a steep hill I noticed that power was falling. Pulled over to the side of the road and looked at the gauges no sign of trouble, idiot lights no blinking.

Whilst going along at about 40kph the Van regained power and commenced to accelerate up the hill. Still no signs from gauges or idiot lights. Reached the top of the hill and looking in the rear view noticed white smoke from rear of van. Pulled over and stopped. Walked to rear and noticed oil splatter on rear tailgate.

Opened engine cover and noticed that the oil had been blown from engine and hitting hot exhaust. Checked dipstick still have oil in crankcase ( above bottom notch ) however I cannot see where its blowing from. Oh ! dont remember distick being loose but dont think so ! I did notice some oil around the breather tower ( Possibility here ??? )

Called the Road Service and the patrolman suggested that compression is entering the crankcase and blowing oil out the motor. We turned her on and after a short time it started to blow out of the oil filler cap ( which he had removed to show me )

Result a 120kms tow on a flat bed truck to home ( Relax, I'm a long time member and no cost to me )

Ok now comes the crunch. Give me some ideas on where to start looking. I assume that compression is somehow by passing the rings and ending up in the case, hence the blowback. Remember the post recently about oil breather cloggin up what's the chance here ?

Prior to this motor is running perfect. Oil and filter changed every 5000 kms ( sometimes sooner ) Motor runs steady all day at 100 to 120 kph.

Ray Hunnam