Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jun 2000 08:52:02 -0400
From:         Doug Alcock <dgalcock@HEWITT.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WESTY] Canoe on poptop - too much weight?
Comments: To: Todd Guttman <tguttman@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>

The foam blocks work just fine. I put a lot of miles on a 77 Westy with a 17 ft Coleman canoe on top over an 8 year period. I've now got an '84 Westy and our new 16 ft fibreglas Prospector clone rode happily on its top for the first time this weekend. I use two ratchet cargo straps (hooked to the rain gutters) over the top and a couple more at the front and back. On my old westy I just used two ropes over the top and one at the front. I've *never* had a problem with movement. However, I got to thinking that I could get a couple of straps with hooks (or just ropes) to go from the hooks in the luggage rack back to the first handy thwart/seat. This way I'd *know* that the canoe couldn't possibly slide back (not that it ever has) and that even if two or three of the tie-downs magically failed at once the canoe would still stay attached. Incidentally, a great place to store your PFD's and paddles while in transit is in the canoe --- I stuff the life jackets in a dry bag along with the paddle blades and the the whole thing wedges (rattle-free and dry) under the rear seat of the canoe while driving.

Cheers, Doug '84 Westy Toronto, Canada