Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jun 2000 09:32:52 -0400
From:         Karl Bloss <vanagon@MAKAROV.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why convert to a engine that is not better than WBX?

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, David Marshall laid this bit of wit and wisdom upon us: > The inline four cylinder conversion, if done correctly, will give you LOTS > more power, better emissions and be 100% legal.

What concerns me on the I-4 is its torque. I know Jim DiGennaro put a GTI motor in his Vanagon (now sold) and from what I understood, you had to rev the thing to get any power. Perhaps the I-4s you sell are cammed differently.

His van ended up sucking a valve on the way to Carlisle one year... not sure if that's related, but so much for bulletproof I-4 mantra. I don't think he has any plans to convert his current Vanagon back to an I-4.

IMHO, the WBX has a good amount of low-end torque, which is useful for getting the brick going and even towing a light trailer.

But hey...I'm biased, I admit it. After all, I've got a Boston Engine rebuilt 2.1 sitting in my basement ready to go in when the nearly 200K 2.1 gives up the ghost (or I get a long weekend with a buddy's help to put it in...which ever comes first).

I also think I can do a LOT of headgaskets for the price of a conversion.

-Karl -- Karl & Kristina Bloss - vanagon@makarov.com 1987 Westfalia Weekender "Bev" - 198K Miles http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw VW Shop List: http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/vwshops