Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:45:56 -0700
From:         Matthew Pollard <poll7356@UIDAHO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Summer Trip
Comments: To: Dale Hartman <zeldah@PRAIRIE.LAKES.COM>

Just some ideas:

Get a Golden Eagle Pass! 65$ at the front gate of a national park or monument- allows entrance into all each and every nat park, monument, etc.

Banff is nice but really touristy and costly- like 7$CA per person per night in the park but they provide hot showers and fire wood!

In Northern califonia, Prarie Creek Campground is nice (Near Klamath river). I have stayed there many time with my family- i have never NOT seen a black bear there! Oh yeah, Coons' too!

Near Santa Cruz, Big Basin is ok. I grew up about 10 miles from that place. South of santa cruz is manarisa state park and sunset beach state park. two nice places to camp on the beach. the first one is better. gotta get reservations though. hot showers and beach access at each. when surfing there i'd often see dolphins!

btw, volkscafe is around there. just make a note incase you need something, etc. good place.

Further south is san luis obispo. Good camping- realllllyyyy nice at Montana de Oro State park. It is just south of morro bay and just north of SLO. In SLO there is a really good burrito joint- Chili Pepers (corner of Broad and Foothill in the Lucky's parking lot).

If you are just driving from SF to LV you will be getting into vegas area and you'll pass a road named Xyzxy (sp?). Try pronouncing that one! There is a great legend about a gold mine and cave out there. What it was, some old hermit rode his horse into a bar and put down a bag of gold. He told everybody that he found the gold deep in a cave, etc. So he went back and blew up the shaft that went into the gold section so nobody would get in there. Well, now there is a mining company that is drilling straight into the mountain looking for the gold. I have been in two HUGE and very extensive caves out there but no dice...

outside of vegas is Red Rocks National Monument. Nice place to bivy and check out. If you climb you'll want to stay there for about 2 weeks :-)

If you want any more California info, just email me! If you are coming through norther ID and need a plug in or dinner, just email me! Good luck and have fun!

Matthew Pollard http://www.uidaho.edu/~poll7356 Dept. of Chemistry http://www.chem.uidaho.edu University of Idaho http://www.uidaho.edu