Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Jun 2000 08:35:04 -0500
From:         gbasey <gbasey@LINK2000.NET>
Subject:      Re: ETKA CD

Here is the original e-mail. I got this cd and it works great. No install problems either.

---

Greetings fellow VW enthusiasts!

It's finally here! The version of ETKA for North American VW & Audi models. This version covers from 1947 through 2001 models too! It runs on a stand alone PC without the need for the "Hardlock" (Dongle). ETKA is the computer parts program that dealers use to identify parts for Volkswagen and Audi vehicles. I am making copies available to VW enthusiasts at a reasonable cost. I am not in business and am only attempting to cover the cost of my time, supplies and shipping. To avoid legal hassles the CD is free for your personal use only (i.e., no business use). Shipping and handling will cost you $8.00 USD to North American destinations. Shipping and handling costs to non North American destinations may cost slightly more, depending upon actual shipping costs, and will be dealt with on a case by case basis. I am located on the West Coast of the US and will ship via mail as soon as possible after payment is received. A further description of what is included on the software is found below followed by ordering information.

The ETKA V5.3 software on the CD contains a parts listing for VW and Audi vehicles through 2001. It contains exploded parts assembly views, part names and VW part numbers. It is not like a service manual as it does not tell you or show you how things come apart or go together or give clearances, wear tolerances or torque specifications. This sort of information is best found in a service manual, such as those published by Robert Bentley. However, the software contains very useful information regarding what parts are used on various models. It was originally intended to be used on VW & Audi dealer computers networked with VW. The ETKA software contains features like Update, Pricing, and Mail, etc., that rely upon the VW network. Since you will not be connected to a dealership network these features will not function. I have had an opportunity to install the software on my laptop computer and verify functionality of the exploded parts illustrations and listings. Realize, there is no technical support for the software (i.e., don't call your local VW dealer or VOA for help!). It is best to contact either myself or one of the other VW bulletin board members running this software for assistance. I am running Win98 and understand the software will also run on Win95 and WinNT machines. Some of you have asked about compatibility with Apple Macintosh computers. I cannot address this question. However, I doubt that the software and CD are compatible with Apple Macintosh computers. From what I understand, the software must be installed on your computer. Afterward the software can be run without the CD. It takes approximately 360 MB of hard drive space. It is also important to use a monitor resolution of 1280 X 1024 to view the software correctly. My laptop uses a display resolution of 800 X 600. I temporarily set the resolution to 1280 X 1024 prior to running the software and return the resolution to the previous (normal) setting afterwards.

If your interest in VWs is anything like mine, I think you will find the software on this CD very useful and interesting. Following is a list of VW models covered by this software:

New Beetle 1998 > 2001 Campmobile 1980 > 1995 Rabbit Conv. / Golf Cabrio. 1980 > 2001 Corrado 1989 > 1995 Dasher 1974 > 1981 Euro Van 1992 > 2001 Fox 302, 307, 309 1987 > 1993 Ghia 1956 > 1974 Golf - Brazil 2000 > 2001 Golf - Germany 1999 > 2001 Golf - Mexico 1989 > 1999 Golf - USA 1985 > 1989 Jetta - Germany 1979 > 1994 Jetta - Mexico 1989 > 2001 Jetta - USA 1987 > 1989 Passat 1990 > 2001 Passat Syncro 1991 > 2001 Pickup 1979 > 1984 Quantum 1982 > 1988 Quantum Syncro 1985 > 1988 Rabbit - Germany 1975 > 1980 Rabbit - USA 1979 > 1984 Scirocco 1974 > 1989 Type 2 1968 > 1979 Type 3 / Type 4 1961 > 1974 Vanagon 1980 > 1992 Vanagon Syncro 1986 > 1992 VW 1200, 1300, 1302, 1303 1947 > 1980 Model 181 (Thing, Safari) 1970 > 1979

The Audi models covered by this software are as follows:

Audi Fox 1973 > 1979 Audi TT Coupe 2000 > 2001 Audi 100 1989 > 1994 Audi 100 Quattro 1989 > 1994 Audi 200 1989 > 1991 Audi 200 Quattro 1989 > 1991 Audi A4 / Avant 1996 > 2001 Audi A4 / S4 / Avant Quattro 1996 > 2001 Audi 4000 1980 > 1987 Audi 4000 Quattro 1984 > 1987 Audi 5000 Turbo Quattro 1984 > 1987 Audi 5000 1978 > 1988 Audi 5000 Quattro 1987 > 1988 Audi 5000 Turbo 1980 > 1988 Audi A6 / Avant 1995 > 2001 Audi A6 / S6 Quattro 1995 > 2001 Audi A8 1997 > 1999 Audi A8 Quattro 1997 > 2001 Audi 80 / 90 1988 > 1995 Audi 80 / 90 Quattro 1988 > 1995 Audi Cabrio 1994 > 1998 Audi Coupe 1981 > 1987 Audi Coupe Quattro 1990 > 1991 Audi Quattro 1982 > 1987 Audi V8 1990 > 1994

Below are instructions on how to order the CD:

I will accept personal check, cashier's check, money order or Western Union for payment of $8.00 USD to cover shipping and handling of the CD. Please do not send cash. Don't forget to include your E-mail address along with your name and mailing address with your order. I will E-mail you when I receive payment to confirm shipment of the CD. For shipment to non North American destinations please contact me via E-mail with your mailing address so that I can identify any additional shipping costs prior to sending me your order. I use First Class and Air Mail service due to convenience and can usually ship within one business day. My name and mailing address are below:

Best Regards, Ray Folda Ray Folda 2424 Spring Street E-mail: RF72050@aol.com Medford, Oregon 97504 1vduber to another USA