Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jun 2000 20:07:32 -0500
From:         sean <srohde@STUDENTS.UIUC.EDU>
Subject:      more general questions from a newbie

Hi all, So my wife and I found an 85 we are interested in. We checked out the link on the vanagon page to get info on the van but there is none available. Anyone out there with an 85 have any advice? Is there a big difference between the 1.9L and the 2.1L motors? We inspected the van and it is super clean.

It is a second owner, 63,000 original miles, Westfalia conversion with back up battery. Being sold because the P/O simply did not use it due to lack of time to go camping.

We did not have the time to see if everything works. BTW, there are no manuals. On our 78 we know how to work everything, this is a bit of of a different set up. Anyone know of anyone who has scanned the owners manuals online so I can check them out? Heck, I don't even know where the propane tank or water fill is on these things. Anyway, there is no rust and the interior is super clean. No A/C. It is being sold at a consignment dealer that I know has an impeccable reputation. Their asking is outrageous, $9,800 but we already talked about that. I'm pretty sure we can pick it up for $6,500-$7,000.

I did not get the motor inspected yet, but I plan to soon. I spent a good hour crawling about and looking for the little things. No rips, rust, big wear and tear et. Like I said, very clean inside and out.

How is the heat in Vanagons? I simply forgot to check. Like I said I'm gonna check out all the mechanics the next time I look at it and I'm also gonna have my mechanic give it the once over.

Thanks again for all the great advice y'all have been offering. My wife and I are having fun searching for our new westy and learning a lot along the way.

Take care Sean and Michelle