Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:47:04 -0400
From:         Ezra Hall <ehall@TOGETHER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Thermostat for Dometic Fridge (fan), found at Newark
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ibm.net>

-----Original Message----- From: David Beierl [SMTP:dbeierl@ibm.net] Dunno -- you're looking for a contact thermoswitch. Standard industrial part in many flavors, but not sure how to get one at retail. snip Of course, I should have looked first! Checking my catalogs,no luck in Grainger or MSC, but Newark electronics has TO220 packaged, close at temp, thermal switches, $7. I will order a 40Deg C (104 Deg F) thermo switch, the lowest temp offered.

If the fridge works on gas, then the thermocouple is working. See below...

> If my memory serves correct, there is a solid snip

Good guess...the "solid wire" is a coaxial thermocouple. One end sticks into the flame and the other end screws into the gas valve. When the t/c is in a flame, it generates a few millivolts which (astonishingly) is enough to hold the gas valve open after you open it by pushing the button. The connection to the LED panel is a single wire from the gas valve, goes (IIRC) to an inline plug a foot or so away from the LED panel connector. David

I must have disconnected the wire at the gas valve, now I know where to look, thanks! Ah, so the Seebeck junction is in the gas valve? That makes sense since the body of the gas valve is a large heat sink to keep that side of the junction cold. Does the gas valve actually use a solenoid to hold it open? I would think a bi-metalic structure would be more efficient, but that is neat if it actually uses a solenoid. Hard to believe 10 or 20 millivolts at low current is enough to energize a solenoid, but I have seen stranger things. When I was a kid I recall reading a description of an oil lamp with a bunch of serially connected thermocouples used to power a radio during wartime, I think it was a Russian invention. Of course, now we have those Semiconductor Peltier junctions, I imagine one of these could power a solenoid well. If it is truly a coaxial thermocouple (never heard of such a thing) that would imply an insulated core and the junction at the tip of the wire? Or is the name misleading?

Thanks for your tips. Ezra