Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:16:18 -0700
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Agilis  61 Research/positive results!

Listees: Some one probably has already done most of this Private Eye work to find the Agilis tire, but here's what I did and the numbers etc. Used the 1-800-847-3435 to contact Michelin(this # is nowhere on their website, btw) and it was suggested that I talk with Peggy, but anyone can help. The Agilis 61 in the 185R14C and 99R load/speed rating has a Michelin product code of 78012. NTB and Sears numbers will likely have to be cross referenced. I chose to use my hometown guy for this purchase because he did the leg work and the chains acted as if they could give a rat's ass about finding these tires. This tire is 25.6" tall and although they listed a 185 MX tire also with reinforced sidewall, it's load rating was only a 94. There is a 195/75 Agilis 61 listed w a 102 load rating, but currently listed as not for development in US. Local guy sold me the Agilis 61's for $94 a piece plus the taxes and balance and in a week or so I'll be reporting on how they have changed the GL's handling and ride. Best shot to get them is via the South Carolina distribution center which may have a factory nearby. There is also a warehouse in Houston, TX, Pennsylvania, and prolly a couple more.

I'm replacing some Goodyear Wrangler Aquatread light truck tires that didn't have the stiff walls and were prolly a little too wide for the 5 1/2 " rims(215's), but then that's what I get for listening to the Goodyear sales rep anxious to make his house payment that month.

Michelin folks were pretty sure that any Discount Tire outlet could get these tires for you. Discount Tire doesn't exist here in Arkansas and I'm not going to quibble over 6 or $7 a tire, even when I'm buying 5 of them. Hopefully the cushy ride won't totally disappear with the newer skins, but the skinnier foot print should improve gas mileage some and hopefully not degrade brakiing. I know the floating sensation going around curves will go bye bye and that's a good thing. Details as they become available.

I know everyone is burned out on the Tire threads(no pun intended), and I had to laugh when the high school girls working at the Sam's Club tire counter told me I'd just have to take what their tire truck shipment brought in each week and special ordering was not possible. BTW, manufacturer's list price on the 185 Agilis was $121 .

dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel prepping for big screen debut in two weeks