Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:09:44 -0300
From:         Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>
Subject:      First Offering: '85 Single Cab FS

Hi All,

Reluctant sale of an incredibly great single cab. Bought a while back, I just couldn't not buy it!!

Details:

1985 Single Cab, VW Workshop blue, 83,600Kms (53K miles !!!)

Runs perfectly, dead smooth to 145+km/hr, tons of power. engine/trans never apart, only an exhaust and tailpipe are non original. Engine is dry/tight and nearly silent when idling, my others have never been this good. It's a 4spd.

2 owners prior to me, I haven't registered it even. Serviced by the same VW dealer mechanic all it's life. Same mechanic, retired several years ago, bought it from the first owners, older couple. It has never been a work truck, owned by old folks. This is why it's such a find.

Bed is true/straight, all slats there, two cracked, need varnishing. Any scrapes in the bed were touched up immediately, with VW blue All gates are near spotless, scuffs only. The latches move freely, zinc/cadmium plating near perfect. Interior is 1+2 seats, black and spotless! Headliner above lights has several small holes ??? keys?

Belly compartment great, no trace of rust at door sills, hinges perfect. One belly door has slight inward dimple/crease, likely cornering induced. Perhaps 12" long x 1/8" deep.

All glass/lights excellent, one cracked side marker. Grill has small crack at one headlight. 2 round headlight type. Cab roof never bumped/scratched.

One side absloutely free of seam rust, other shows earliest beginnings at rearmost seam, over few inches only. This truck is amazing. The original paint has a high gloss.

Tires are great, <3000Kms, but only 4 plys. Handles beautifully any how. Steering is tight, so is suspension, drives like new.

Undersides are nice and blue with undercoating. Minor road rash on rearmost where paint chipped away.

Bottom line here, nothing mechanical is required, or will be for a long long time. Body requires paint, NO welding and likely zero bondo however, to put it back to mint condition. If anyone wants a show cab this is about as close to perfect/ready as you're going to get. I wouldn't paint it actually.

I bought this because I thought I could finance it and the many other projects I have ongoing. I'm going to regret selling it, single cabs are pretty much unknown around here, it is the first I've seen in this province, and about the third I've ever seen. I have a Porsche to rebuild, and that motor is looking very costly since I need a fresh case. I also have my crewcab Subaru odyssey to finish some year. That and an ailing Syncro.... life bites, so does my ex's lawyer.

The single didn't come cheap to me, the mechanic knew what it was worth, both as a low mileage unused single cab, and as a rare vehicle. He said their dealership sold one crew and this single in '85, and he regularly told the first owner he wanted it when it went for sale. He sold it because he bought Ford 4x4 to plow his driveway with, too old for the tractor due to arthritis. Yup, found it at a farm, definately a little old man's truck, no radio ever installed, red-white reflector tape stuck on front/rear etc.

I've seen redone singles and crews listed for $10-13K US, this one simply needs painting to be 'new'. I'd like offers at US$9,500 and will take best offer, meaning highest bidder wins. Add whatever basic paint costs and start winning prizes.

Please email me directly, and asap since I may be out of this office very soon, another f*#king wonderful part of my life. I'll get the compliance certificate, you will need to bring a USA instrument cluster, get the whole unit, takes 5 minutes to swap it, mail it to me and I'll do that also. Let me know also if there are any particular photographs you'd like to see, closeup etc. I'll do the basic views asap.

If anyone wants to see it stateside, I'll gladly drive it to Bangor Maine, there is an airport there. And I'm quite willing to drive it as far as Boston for the buyer or maybe a very interested party. I'd like a travel deposit in either case, My friend drove his '85 crew to Bangor and the buyer bailed with the comment "it just doesn't scream.. buy me!" leaving us with two vans to drive back and dropping us $20 for a total of 12 hours driving. It sold a week later, and the non screamer had mailed back saying he regretted passing it up, could he buy it. D'oh. So don't let this one scream by you! ;)

I'm washing last falls leaves and dust off it and will photograph abundantly asap. bye, Tim