Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jun 2000 18:57:19 -0700
From:         Daniel Schmitz <djs@GENE.COM>
Subject:      Re: wierd cylinder under driver footwell molding(jettano vanagon)
Comments: To: "robot ." <robot_works@HOTMAIL.COM>

This is likely part of an on-board halon cabin fire extinguishing system, a seldom-purchased (but important) safety option in 1984, right up there with see-through headrests and retractable seat belts. I think only a handful of US-spec Vanagons were actually sold with this feature in that year, and you may well have one.

It was a popular option for those who tended to smoke cigarettes or cigars while driving and accidentally dropped a lit one onto the upholstery without realizing it. A smoke sensor (hidden inside one of the side cabin air vents in the ceiling) would, in theory, detect the burning seat upholstery or carpeting and activate the fire control system. It was supposed to be quicker at responding to the smoke than the average oblivious, chain-smoking driver. A previous version of this system (in 1983) utilized the Westfalia's water tank to supply a cabin sprinkler system, but that approach proved less popular with the public because it often caused the onset of dreaded Vanagon Seam Rust from the inside. And, of course, this approach left non-Westfalia Vanagons ill protected in the event of a fire, which obviously wasn't fair, so VW quickly switched to halon fire systems for 1984.

If you are lucky, the system long ago lost its charge. You can probably go ahead and impact (or incinerate) it contrary to the printed instructions, but prudence suggests (as she often does) that you detach it from the vehicle first.

Dan

PS: I have no idea what the item in question is. Armed with that knowledge, I wouldn't impact or incinerate it. My apologies to any and all who were offended by the above explanation, including, of course, those in the Vanagon-driving, oblivious, chain smoking community. And Volkswagen.