Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:11:16 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Moosey Question for Electronics Weenies
Comments: To: The Gunnings <ngunn@LANDMARKNET.NET>

Hullo David --

At 07:17 6/14/2000, The Gunnings wrote: >I am in the process of trying to determine the true extent of the electric >problem with my 85, 1.9 wbx which I did recently inadvertedly fry the ecu >brain and the fuel pump relay of, at a minimum, and with the possibility >that there might be other collateral damage as well.

Pray define "fry" -- do you mean fire and smoke, or non-function? If b, what's your evidence that ECU is actually at fault? Is by any faint chance anything behaving oddly on your instrument panel? Strange lighting effects and/or unexpected switch behavior?

>of small lessons here: 1) do not leave your ignition in the open position >while trying to jump start your vehicle with the jumper cables hooked-up to >another battery, even for a short while. Always turn off your ignition and >unhook the jumper cables immediately if your vehicle does not start right >up.

I have been known to leave my ignition on for hours, thanks to VW's stubbornness in not putting an ACC position on the switch. No harm has yet resulted. Didn't have jumpers hooked up at the time, but I doubt this would matter.

> 2) Ignore all bull moose in close proximity, even though looming 7 ft. >tall and with a rack of horns (or is it antlers?) every bit as wide as your >vanagon. My question, in two parts, is this: does the above mentioned >scenario possibly account for the electric problems I am having? And, >part two, how does one ignore a bull moose?

Part the first: doubtful Part the second: If moose is not in rut, close your eyes and he will not see you. If moose *is* in rut, promptly introduce him to the nearest Subagon/Vanaru with intact oilpan, and he will forget you.* And change those pants. <g>

* It may be wise to check whether said Vanaru is insured, and possibly add a -- dare I say it? (Of course hehehe) -- Moose Rider. <WEG>

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"