Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:33:30 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@netcarrier.com>
Subject:      Re: hella 2nd battery kit

The Hella dual battery kit that I sell is one that Just Kampers in the UK has been selling for several years for VW vans. I brought it in based on their recommendation, and it has become one of my most popular items. Just Kampers has several hundred in use in customers' vans, and I've sold well over a hundred myself, with not a single complaint. It is specifically designed for use in camper vans, to power the fridge, minor electricals, etc. - in other words, precisely what most VW van owners are looking for. Unfortunately, Hella did not see fit to include specifications, but it does include complete wiring instructions.

Regarding one listmember's guess that it would blow a fuse right away, I have never had a single complaint of this occurring. (It is worth noting that his guess was not based on any direct experience with the Hella unit.) Certainly with many hundreds sold between me and Just Kampers, if the kit were inappropriate for the stated application or blew fuses with any regularity whatsoever, both Just Kampers and I would have heard about it long ago. Hella is a well established brand, with a good reputation and experience with both electrical systems and Volkswagens, so I tend to assume that they know what they are doing when they design a kit specifically for this application.

Also, I'd like to point out that even if a fuse did blow on a relay, it may prevent you from charging your auxilliary battery until you replaced it, but it would not keep you from starting and driving your van. On the other hand, if you have a system using a dual battery isolator, if the diode in the isolator fails (which happened three times on my '77 Westy, with two different brands), it can close the connection between the two batteries, allowing the starting battery to discharge without your knowledge while you are camping. You will learn the hard way that your isolator failed, when you go to leave and discover that your starting battery is dead.

So, in a nutshell, this is a simple, light duty relay kit with instructions for under $20. It's definately nothing fancy or heavy duty, but it is specifically intended for use as a dual battery relay system for a Volkswagen van (or similar European camper van). Certainly there are heavier duty (and pricier) alternatives, some of which may indeed be better, but for under $20 this is a simple and inexpensive way to add a second battery to your van.

Now you know precisely as much about the kit as I do.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com