Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jun 2000 20:44:34 EDT
From:         Harold Teer <teerhb@hotmail.com>
Subject:      My new Interior lighting, awning, and shower stall

In preparing for our trip to the Atlantic Provinces, I made a few changes to the van that I wanted to share with everyone.

After several long trips in our westy, we decided we needed heat, more light, a shower stall, and an awning. Several years ago I solved the heat problem by installing a propex heater when the original group purchase occurred. But I was too busy to work on the rest of the issues that we had identified as important. The following modifications have recently been completed

1) More interior light -- I purchased two Thinlite #171 low amp fluorescent lights and following the procedure in Bentley, removed the existing tray that held the original incadescent light. I removed the incadescent light and replaced it with one of the Thinlites. The other Thinlite was placed on the same tray over the stove and tied in to the existing wiring. I ran new wiring from the auxillary battery to the back of the van and placed the old incadescent lamp in the rear above the bed on the passenger side parallel to the window. Therefore it is out of the way and doesn't block the view out of the rearview mirrow. We are thrilled with the new lighting. The Thinlites only hang down 1". These Thinlites can be purchased from several of the list vendors for $59.95 each. Or, you can buy two of them for $45 from http://www.rv-solar.com/wind-sun/lighting.html or for $23.75 each from http://www.windsun.com/Misc_AE/Thin-Lite.htm Both of these sites have many different models of Thinlite to choose from and are great sources for RV lighting.

2) Shower Stall -- We like to camp in many places that don't have showers so we usually bring along a sunshower for warmed water. I place the sunshower in the luggage rack and tie the handle side of the sunshower to the luggage tiedown eye on the passenger side. When we want to wash our hair or take a shower, I just flip the sunshower over the side of the luggage rack and it is very convenient. Out of modesty, we have always rigged up some sort of tarp, but that has always been pretty clumsy since we needed trees to tie the tarp to, etc. So, after thinking about how to do this very easily we came up with something that is inexpensive, easy to set up and easy to store. We bought a hula hoop toy at Wal-Mart for about $2.50. Under the label, are two staples holding the hoop together. I undid the staples and my wife took two cloth shower curtains and sewed them together. You don't need a real long curtain so we cut the top of the curtain off and she made a pocket to thread the hula hoop through by turning the top of the curtain down and stitched it. At the midpoint of the pocket, she cut one hole. At the midpoint of the hula hoop, I screwed in an eye hook. We bought two small spring clamps (the kind with rubber paddded jaws). To set up the shower, we thread the hoop through the pocket in the curtain, slide one handle of each clamp into the open end of the hoop (I had to flatten about 1" at each end of the hoop in order to fit the clamp handle) and attach one clamp to the rain gutter above the front of the passenger door and the other to the rain gutter above the back rear of the passenger door. Tie one end of a string to the eye hook in the hoop and the other end to the luggage tie down above the passenger door(better yet, put a hook at each end of the string after you decide the length you need.) That keeps the outer edge of the hoop from sagging too far. That is it! Now, flip down the sunshower and you are set. Later, after the curtain has dried, remove it from the hoop, fold it up and store where you wish. We store the hoop between the poptop and the top mattress.

3) Awning -- We didn't need a big one so we ordered the Shadyboy awning described at Vanagon.com. The owner, Wolfgang, was very easy to work with and shipping was prompt--in fact he shipped it a day earlier than promised. The awning seems like it will work well but I will know more after using it for a few weeks. It was easy to install on the van although it was a little scary drilling the holes required for installation. The instructions could have been clearer, but I have seen much worse.

Hope some of this is of help to others.