Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:45:23 -0400
From:         RHS Linux User <vanagon@TGOFF2.GSFC.NASA.GOV>
Subject:      canvas replacement

Having just performed this task last weekend, I thought I'd add some hints / comments to Malcolm's original post.

My Westy ('84) also had the aluminum strips holding the canvas to the poptop and roof - #2 phillips on the poptop, #1 phillips on the roof. The screw holes in the middle of each end piece are exactly in the center of the ends. This helps with installation.

After popping the top, I removed the screws fastening the canvas to the roof, leaving the screws to the top in place. I then removed the spring loaded support by 1). removing the four nuts (two on each side) on the top of the support brace. 2). placing an 8 foot 2x4 between the pop top latch and the floor of the van, in back (towards the front) of the support and lifting the pop top about 1 inch off the upper support brackets, with the 2x4 on the forward, slightly raised floor of the van. 3). removed the upholstery screws (small with washers, two on driver's side, one on passenger) to gain access to the buried nuts under the lower bracket. I wiggled a 1/4 inch ratchet with 10mm socket onto the nut (a hardened aluminum compression nut) and, holding the top of the 10mm bolt, removed them (two on each side). 4). carefully removed the support brace - I didn't want to bump that 2x4! (This avoids handling a tensioned brace.)

The real trick I used was to place a 4 inch DWV plastic pipe (the width of the van or longer) under the poptop and on top of the roof, in the center of the roof. I now removed the 6 10mm bolts at the rear of the poptop that fastened the poptop to the roof (after marking their original position on the roof), lowered the poptop onto the PVC pipe, placed a pad on the upper part of the tailgate door (Important!), rolled the poptop to the rear until one end was on the ground on some cardboard box remains, stood the poptop on end, swung it around and lowered it upsidedown to the ground. A one person job - no help needed.

Cleaned lichens off the poptop with 409 cleaner and pot scrubber, removed rubber seal, removed skylight, removed skylight seal, scrubbed all the mildew / dirt off the fuzzy inside with a stiff brush and mildew cleaner (the fuzz is tougher than I expected), installed new canvas on the poptop (didn't use the wood pieces), etc. BTW - I was prepared to repaint the poptop, but after the cleaning it looked so good that I'm not going to bother.

As the manuals say: installation is the reverse of removal. Getting the canvas screwed onto the roof was the most painful part. I used a flat 1 inch stiff putty knife to hold the canvas "bead" while installing the screws. The new canvas had barely visible chalk marks at the centers of the ends - I didn't have to measure, but double checked it. The seams on the corners of the canvas lined up with the middle of each 45 degree bend at the corners of the aluminum hold down strips. The canvas is stretched tight.

The poptop now looks better than it did from the factory (almost), minus the Wetfalia insignia on the back - to be added later. Great fit (thanks Bus Depot and Ron) I didn't have to adjust anything - bolting the rear hinge back onto where I had marked it was perfect - it latches just fine!

A long day's work, installed with a damp poptop interior due to cleaning but now dry, and ready for that Cub Scout camping weekend. (The rest of the pack uses tents - I think they're jealous - everyone examines the van on these campouts.)

Tom Goff - 1984 full Westy - original ower, 85K miles - Highland, MD