Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:43:56 -0400
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@toast.net>
Subject:      The Princess and the Pea (Was: List Anti-SPAM measures)
Comments: To: Ron Bloomquist <roadcow@mcn.org>

I had thought the private email the List Admin and I exchanged was the end of this silliness but it seems there are those who wish to feed the fire. I imagine those who claim a right to insult others with impunity or think insults should be taken without reply shall blame me for keeping the thread alive. I also would not be surprised if I get a few "If you don't shut up and take it my buddies will kick you off the list." type of posts. I suppose it is even possible that I will be kicked off the list for not tacitly confessing the accused sin by taking the insults in silence but such are the risks in the atmosphere of extreme hypersensitivity that began this silliness.

Once upon a time....

Due to the occasional little bit of spam that makes it to the list a vote was held last week to decide whether or not to close the list. The vote said leave it open and simply live with the occasional little bit of spam. Decision made, case closed, subject complete, end of story, move on.

About a week later the **LIST ADMIN**, apparently still concerned with the spam the rest of us had decided not to worry about, reopened the subject by telling the list that he was going to start screening every bit of email that comes from a non-member address in order to prevent that occasional little bit of spam from getting to the list. I looked upon **his** reopening of the subject as an expression of genuine concern and willingness to personally do something about it. I commented thusly:

"While I certainly appreciate your willingness to go through the extra work I'm not sure your not generating more work for yourself than the present situation warrants. We are getting very little spam and such as we do get is easy to identify and delete. Your examination of every email from a "foreign" address before allowing it to appear on the list seems like a lot of trouble for you to go through just to save us a few strokes of the delete key."

I posted ONLY that one single comment. Later several others posted short agreements. THIS ONE COMMENT and the several short replies have apparently caused some on the list to look on us as "a bunch of fruits, flakes, and nuts" and "whiners and snivelers". For **THIS** one guy implied we are supporting pornography!?!? **THIS** single comment gets us "The time for opinions is over." (In other words, "Shut up!") from the List Admin himself who has (by God only knows what thought process) seemingly has taken our "Gee Tom, don't work so hard" sentiment and turned it into a rebellion against last weeks vote??!?!?!

I honestly do not know what to make of this. It is not rational. It seems that the list has been thickly planted with mines. Anyone who posts anything that cannot be quoted chapter and verse from the Holy Writ of the Bentley ventures into this minefield and risks an explosion. The exact location of these mines is known only to a few and seems to change from day to day depending on the mood of the keepers of the minefield.

Wherever the mood of the moment set the mines that day it seems I and several others have stepped on one. I by posting that one single innocuous comment, the others be agreeing with me. I would like to hear from those who exploded just what it was in that one single innocuous comment that lit their fuse.

You DO have a rational reason for your reaction, don't you? If so, please post it as publicly as you have posted your other, err, ahh, "comments". Justify your explosion; either that or take your place in the Looney Bin alongside the rest of us "bunch of fruits, flakes, nuts, whiners and snivelers".

Hi Tom,

You wrote:

"The time for opinions is over."

<snip>

Right on!!

I must say, the "list" as a group, drives me nuts. What a bunch of fruits, flakes, and nuts.

Makes me wonder how democracy can even work. The whiners and snivelers always show up after the voting is over.

Dictatorship is so much easier!!

The only reason I hang in with this list is because every now and then some real wisdom shows up. But, I guess, like they say... You gotta sort a lot of gravel to find a gem.

Maybe I am still in shock after the five month process it took to design a vanagon sticker. What a fiasco that turned into after such a simple, straight forward, beginning. I must admit though... the end product turned out quite cool! Now, if we could only get the damn things.

Anyway, onward and hang in there Tom, you do good work.

Ron