Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Jun 2000 08:45:29 -0700
From:         Stanley Pitman <stanman@blueneptune.com>
Subject:      Yet another EE talks batteries

I'm an electrical/electronic engineer with considerable experience and knowledge of batteries and charging systems. I want to thank Beckett Cantrell, especially, for his illuminating posts where he explained the basics of dual battery relays. Listen to him, people; he knows whereof he speaks (and with a sense of humor, no less). Other good insights were posted by Harald Nancy, Frank Gruenthaner and a few others. The "best of" postings are going into my reference file for technical writing and teaching. Thanks guys!

I wanted to respond earlier to some of the misinformation posted by others, but holding down 1.4 jobs has kept me hopping. Now that I'm home sick for a few days, here it comes! I won't repeat most of the good points made, except where some clarification and emphasis is in order.

Proper design of a good RV auxiliary battery system is not a simple process, even for those with some electrical know-how. Each approach has to consider costs, performance, reliability, and effects on other parts of the RV. Anyone claiming "All you have to do is......." is likely ignorant of some basics.

Fuses are designed to protect electrical circuits against carrying electrical current beyond their safe limits. This includes effects on all equipment, including batteries, wiring, alternators, relays, etc. In any circuit, a fuse is sized to protect all the links in that circuit. Just deciding on a fuse double your anticipated current drain, without understanding what you're doing, is short-sighted and can be dangerous.

One thing I haven't yet seen mentioned is that although you can run electrical devices off your auxiliary battery while charging, the current they draw will reduce the amount available in that "leg" for charging the battery. This can even result in the battery continuing draining, while you think it's charging.

The Hella relay kit seems an inexpensive and reasonable solution for many people (see below). Yes, you can save a few $ by buying the pieces and cobbling it together yourself. Just be sure you really understand what you're doing.

The kit is probably NOT suitable for someone who often drains the battery way down, and doesn't drive a long way each day to allow full charging.

Just installing bigger wire and a big honker relay, however, has to be carefully considered, for all the reasons brought up by Beckett. If you make the auxiliary charging current too high, there is strong risk of damage to battery or alternator, as well as siphoning off high currents from the starting battery whenever the ignition is turned on; don't tarry too long before starting!

For those of you serious about understanding what goes on with your charging systems, I recommend good-quality ammeter and battery-voltage guages to monitor "wuzzup?" in your circuits.

I'm thinking of posting a quick tutorial on battery isolators, if there is any interest.

In any case, it's been most interesting.

P.S. Just found out from the latest post that the infamous Beckett is a battery engineer, no less. Hot Damn ! No wonder he knows his onions, not to mention anions and cations.