Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:37:28 -0400
From:         Mack Paschall <mpaschall@cpt.fsu.edu>
Subject:      AC elec fire

Hey folks, Just when everything was working so well- I took my 87 GL on a four-hour trip and ran the air conditioner the whole time going there. At one point the the air coming out of the vents got warmer. Tried adjusting the thermostat and the fan switch, but no real improvement. When I got to my destination the air seemed to return to its normal cooling ability. The next day while driving around I heard what sounded to be water sloshing around. Couldn't find it while stopped. Later that day while driving the fan switch started acting up, lost the number 2 position (but would work on three and four) then I started to smell electrical smoke. Pulled off the road, started checking things with the engine on. More smoke. Turned AC thermo switch all the way off, it stayed on. Blowers stayed on, smoke starts billowing out of the housing of the center and front air vents. Shut down engine, got out of van, pulled items out of engine cover area to check for fire there, ready to see the whole thing go up in smoke. Tried to pull covers off of AC unit in back, got the plastic nut covers off. Then nothing: no more smoke. Checked engine bay, no problem there. So, how screwed up is the system now? Neither of the switches work now, and I'm assuming all the wiring is toast (literally), possibly the blowers too. I'll start the autopsy this afternoon or tomorrow, just curious if anyone has experience with this, how and where I might check other related items. BTW, the van ran fine, got me home with no problems.

Thanks Mack