Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2000, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Jun 2000 19:36:58 EDT
From:         Sean Lynch <Chgolynch@aol.com>
Subject:      Questions about Diesels

Since the wasserboxer's been spending more time with a mechanic than me, I finally put it into the shop getting a complete drivetrain overhaul (no surprise there). In the interim, I've been relying exclusively on my '82 GL diesel. A wonderful beast, resplendent in its cloth interior, brown two-tone paint, and whitewalls. This thing refuses to break under the rigors of daily driving, and backed up the "Vanagon vs. Volvo" page by mashing up the rear of a 2000 Grand Marquis, while only receiving a broken front blinker, a torn bumper endcap, and a small dent in trade. My first question lies in the fact that it will run flat-out all day, doing 65-67mph, and averaging 26-27 mpg. The motor's out of an '85 Jetta, and I think it has the 5350rpm-governed fuel pump. It had the old vaccum pump until last week, when I upgraded to the newer, more reliable rotary unit. Is it really damaging to the motor to run it this hard? I've put about 27K on it since I bought it, and the odometer's showing 192K. The motor was refurbished and installed about 4K before I bought it, as the guy who bought it the first time I tried to get it couldn't stand the high rpm at 55, and felt it was too slow. Since I bought it, I've only cleaned the injectors, run diesel injector cleaner through it, replaced the fuel filter, oil, and oil filter regularly, and replaced the air cleaner every 10K miles. The darn thing soulnd perfect, and shows no signs of hard service (no metal in the oil, doesn't run hot, etc.) So, is it safe to keep running this way? I don't mind replacing engines, and I'd love to put a later 1.6L hydraulic motor in, with a balancing. Second, it there a better oil filtration system for the motor? Though I change the oil every 1500 miles, and the filter every 3K, I worry about the sludginess of the oil. I know this characteristic is common with diesels, but I'd like to run AmsOil in it, but the stuff's a bit expensive to replace constantly to avoid the sludgies. Thirdly, anybody have a passenger-side blinker for a Vanagon? I've tried to order new blinkers for it, as water gets in 'em, and that one assembly is trashed, but they're back-ordered from VW. So is the shifter boot and clip, and the air deflector panel which fits between the dash and floor vent. I'd like to fix the old girl up, but parts are hard to come by, even after trolling the junkyards in north Alabama. I'd love a set, preferably new, a good rear bumper assembly, and a driver's seat with the zigzag pattern on it. Thanks of any/all help.

Sean L.

'82 Vanagon GL Diesel - oddly reliable '86 Vanagon GL Weekender - money pit '88 Fox GL wagon (2) - under repair, soon for sale '75 Scirocco - project, maybe for sale '77 Dasher wagon - project, a keeper '80 SportTruck - runs, drives, beat to hell

QED, Way Too Many 'Dubs :)